Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would you pay or value this bass at?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BinarySka, Nov 1, 2003.

1. BinarySka

BinarySka

Nov 1, 2003
    This is a 1967 Gibson EB0, Im almost positive.The Made in U.S.A and Serial Number dates it to 67'. I bought the bass relatively cheap, and was wondering what the proffesionals would value it at or pay for it. It is in very good condition, Minor neck scratches, Some Body scratches, nothing big. The pictures colors are a little funky, but its a natural finish. Thanks for all your comments! :bassist:

2. If it's original, it can sell on ebay for $600.00 to $1000.00 easy to a collector.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. BinarySka

BinarySka

Nov 1, 2003
    Thanks, and what do you specificly mean by original?

4. Original.....all parts and finish pertaining to the year of build date.

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. BinarySka

BinarySka

Nov 1, 2003
    All the parts and finish are original, but there was some electronic work, so I wonder if that would diminish the value?

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    BinarySka,
    Based on the photo, it looks like you may have a '97 bass...not '67. The EB-0 only had one pickup, which would have been the huge humbucker in the neck position. An EB-3 was the 2 pickup "SG" style, 30.5" scale bass incorporating the big neck humbucker and a smaller, mini-humbucker-looking pickup in the bridge position with a vintage Gibson bridge. From what I can tell by looking at your photo, that bass has two mini-humbuckers that are the same size, the bridge looks like a modern bridge (not vintage Gibson), and the controls appear to be in a cluster on top...via a top route or something. There's no "batwing" pickguard, nor do I see the familiar two tone, two volume control layout. If the neck is bolt-on (which we can't see in the photo), then you definately don't have a '67 Gibson. I'd take another look at what you have and do a little research to see what vintage Gibson basses look like from that time period (EB-1, EB-2, EB-3, EB-0, EB3L, etc.)

Here's a good place to start:
    http://www.vintage-bass.com/Informations/Gibson_Basses/gibson_basses.html

7. BinarySka

BinarySka

Nov 1, 2003
    It is not a 97'. The serial dates to 67' and you can tell that it is. I wasnt sure of the exact model name but now I think it is an EB-3.

8. BinarySka

BinarySka

Nov 1, 2003

9. BinarySka

BinarySka

Nov 1, 2003
    And the neck isn't bolt on.

10. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
  11. Yeah, Dave that's the one.

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. BinarySka

BinarySka

Nov 1, 2003
    The Serial Number is 054030. Id apprecciate all your help in identifying this Gibson Bass, and its value.

13. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    -------------------------------------------------
    I've seen that bass before, Gibson SB-450. It was released around the same time as the Rippers, and Grabbers, same type of pickup setup/electronics. It never caught on though.

http://basspalace.com/dynamic/displ...StringBass/3069
    -------------------------------------------------
    Worth $869 according to Bass Palace. How much did you pick it up for?

14. BinarySka

BinarySka

Nov 1, 2003
    Thats what theyre selling it for, I got it for 200

15. You paid a good price!

Hey, I was wondering if you have any more pictures of your bass?

I would like to look at it closer, if possible!

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    Treena

16. BinarySka

BinarySka

Nov 1, 2003
    I dont have any now, but could get some. What do you want the pictures of?

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    If it's a short scale then it's an SB-300 and if it's a long scale it's an SB-400.

I can't tell by the photo but if you have single coil pickups, volume/tone and a 3 position switch it's either a 300 or 400 depending on scale length.

If it has humbuckers, volume/tone and two on/off switches then it's either the SB-350 or SB-450 depending on scale length.

The SB-300's and 400's were made from 1971-73 and the SB-350's and 450's were made from 1972-74

They generally sell in the $300 to $400 price range on eBay in decent condition.

The one Swami has up is "claimed" to be alder which would make it rare since these were all reported to be mahogany. He also claims that they were not available in natural finish but I've seen them in natural before and according to the 6th Edition of the Blue Book of Electric guitars (pg. 386) they were available in Cherrry, Natural and Walnut finishes.

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    ps: 6 digit serial numbers beginning with 0 denote 1973 manufacture.

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    LOL...was Swami in Texas recently? I'd bet the one listed on this website at $795 is the one he has on his site now.

http://www.farmhouseguitars.com/

Wasn't the Arlington, TX show like a week or two ago??