Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would you pay...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Vin, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Vin

Vin

Jul 3, 2003
    West Chester, PA
    Hey everyone,

I know a guy selling a Kay Orchestra series 0-100B.
    It's a beautiful blonde bass, no splits in the wood, minimal scratches, no cracks or repairs to the neck or headstock. the thing is beautiful.

Since I'm new to the URB, I don't want to pay a fortune for a pile of kindling, so i'm looking for advice on the price range. as long as it plays nice, and considering the condition as i explained it, what is a fair price? if you were in the market what would you pay?

I appreciate your input. I can't wait to get a bass so i can participate in the forums on a level deeper than variations on the "what's a good bass for a beginner for less than XXX bucks?" theme.

Thanks!

-Vin.

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Have you read through the newbie stickys at the top of each page? There is a great deal of information.

The best thing to do in your case is get this instrument on a 3 day trial period and have it looked at by a knowledgeable third party: professional bassist or luthier. Can you post some pictures?

3. Vin

Vin

Jul 3, 2003
    West Chester, PA
    Yeah i've read through them. I've learned a ton from this site, and i appreciate it.

The reason i'm asking is because on the Kay site, it says these models go from $1200 to 2000 with the blondes going for a few hundred more. That's a pretty huge window. My judgment is clouded by my excitement to get it and i wanted some advice from some cooler heads who aren't really in the market to buy this thing.

Kinda like when you're at the bar buying drinks for a girl. you count on your friends to step in and tell you if she's not as great as you're thinking she is before you go broke and wake up with some big hag you can't get rid of.

hypothetically of course. i've never done that myself...ahem...

4. Within the last two or three years there have been a couple of blondes on E-Bay that sold for over $3K. I have never seen, heard, or imagined a Kay worth that much. There are just too many basses with better tone and construction available for that price or less.

The Kay name just has a lot of mojo for some folks and they are willing to pay for it. I don't think it is unreasonable to pay $1500-2000 for one in excellent shape and well-setup condition. Beyond that, I think you are paying for name--not instrument.

Nick's advice about a knowledgable third party is very sound. Even if you post several good pictures here there is only so much that will show in the picture. There are some very experienced and knowledgable folks here on TB, BUT there are also many who have a very inflated opinion of their opinion and are always willing to dispense lots of male bovine excrement. If I were in your shoes, I would go to great lengths to let a luthier or very experienced player look at it.

5. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio

LOL... welcome to Talkbass...