Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would you put in a five?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Damon Rondeau, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Folks, lend me your wisdom.

I'm building a five-string in a few months and starting to kick around ideas. I've got the wood stuff down, but I lost track of what's happening in pickup land about a decade ago. I'm clued out!

What pickup / electronic arrangement would you put in a fretted five string if you could put anything (well, not something exotically custom or anything) in there?

I like a bottomy sound that's nice and warm in the mids. I've got a 91 Thumb bass and love the sound of that thing.

Appreciate your thoughts.

2. Rich midrange, lots of bottom? Bartolini dual-coil soapbars, "deeper" winding, wired in series.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That works, as would a Bartolini Musicman-style in the bridge and a J-style in the neck position like this:

[​IMG]

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    P.S. Peter - are the M55s in your first FBB bass wired in series or parallel?

5. Series. I considered changing 'em to parallel back when I was running an all-Eden rig, but now that I run a more tonally balanced setup I prefer the extra lows and low mids.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Bart quad coils have worked well for me.

7. LKK

LKK

Sep 4, 2002
    I get great tone variations from a J+MM configuration, with bart 59J#1 at the bridge position and Bassline MM alnico at the neck position.

I have a parellel/single/series switch on the MM pickup and another switch to mix the two pickups (both on, neck only or bridge only). I have a resister in series with the MM pickup when both pickups are on, this is to reduce the strength of the MM pickup so that it blends well with the weaker signal from the bart 59J.

The blended pickup signal then go into a bassline 3 band tone circuit, with a push-pull switch to kick in a slap tone. You can get any tones you like from this configuration.

8. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Much obliged, folks. Saves research steps to get a quick read on where the sweet spot might be found...

9. churchpark

churchpark

Jun 21, 2007
    I am getting a bair of Bart P2 Soapbars in the quad version. How popular or common is it to use series/single/parellel with this PU? Is it very benifitting?

10. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Q-Tuners are beautiful in every respect.

11. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Custom Kent Armstrongs... just tell them what you're looking for and the clouds will part and the angels sing.

12. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Y'all noticed the thread started in 2002 right?

13. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    +1234657436346362236
    :p

14. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe he is still thinking on it :p