Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would you rather have?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joel the bass player, Mar 15, 2001.

1. Would you rather have a used Ampeg SVT2-Pro or a new SVT3-Pro? Just what you would rather have. I have played both and just want some opinions...Thanks!!

2. Definitely the SVT Pro II. Great sound and volume! The only two drawbacks are weight and re-tubing, but the tone should make up for the cons.

3. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Pro II !

4. If you can afford the running costs, go for the SVT Pro II.

I had an old SVT 11 and a SVT 111 a few years back, and the all tube version won hands down.

5. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I think as a rule of thumb all- tube wins in the tone department every time. But you'll have to decide if lugging it around and maintenance are worth the difference in tone..

6. When I first decided to get a new amp, I wanted the 3-pro. When I went to the store, they had one along with a Used 2-pro for the same price. I have chosen the 3-pro, not only because of the lightness, but for the warranty. I know ampeg has a transferrable warranty but the store didnt have the original receipt, which I am pretty sure is needed. At mars they give you 10% off when you sign up for the credit card, so why not. They have a 25 day grace period so all I have to do is pay it off and I will get a pretty good price! I cant wait!!!!!!!!!:)

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I had an SVT 3 Pro for 2 yrs & was very happy with it. The only reason I sold it was because I got a Floor model of an SVT 2 Pro for <font color=red><b>$599.99!!!</b></font> Full warranty included. I got the 3 Pro when I worked @ Sam Ash & I paid the same fot the 3 Pro!!!! I mut say I am totally happier with the sound of the 2 Pro than the 3 Pro. But it's a REAL HEAVY MOTHER!!!!! :)

I have to say, if I didn't get the 2 @ such a great deal, I would definitly still be playing the 3Pro & still be loving it!!!