What would you rather have?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joel the bass player, Mar 15, 2001.

1. Would you rather have a used Ampeg SVT2-Pro or a new SVT3-Pro? Just what you would rather have. I have played both and just want some opinions...Thanks!!
  2. Definitely the SVT Pro II. Great sound and volume! The only two drawbacks are weight and re-tubing, but the tone should make up for the cons.
  3. Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
  4. If you can afford the running costs, go for the SVT Pro II.

I had an old SVT 11 and a SVT 111 a few years back, and the all tube version won hands down.
  5. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I think as a rule of thumb all- tube wins in the tone department every time. But you'll have to decide if lugging it around and maintenance are worth the difference in tone..
  6. When I first decided to get a new amp, I wanted the 3-pro. When I went to the store, they had one along with a Used 2-pro for the same price. I have chosen the 3-pro, not only because of the lightness, but for the warranty. I know ampeg has a transferrable warranty but the store didnt have the original receipt, which I am pretty sure is needed. At mars they give you 10% off when you sign up for the credit card, so why not. They have a 25 day grace period so all I have to do is pay it off and I will get a pretty good price! I cant wait!!!!!!!!!:)
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I had an SVT 3 Pro for 2 yrs & was very happy with it. The only reason I sold it was because I got a Floor model of an SVT 2 Pro for <font color=red><b>$599.99!!!</b></font> Full warranty included. I got the 3 Pro when I worked @ Sam Ash & I paid the same fot the 3 Pro!!!! I mut say I am totally happier with the sound of the 2 Pro than the 3 Pro. But it's a REAL HEAVY MOTHER!!!!! :)

I have to say, if I didn't get the 2 @ such a great deal, I would definitly still be playing the 3Pro & still be loving it!!!