1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what would you recomend for me?

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by matius88, Mar 20, 2013.

1. matius88

matius88

Jun 25, 2012
    Argentina
    well, i want to buy a new bass and i love warwick,
    i was almost sure that i find the one but sudenly a friend of mine apears with a used warwick.

well, the warwick that i found is :

warwick rockbass corvette 4 strings:
    warwick-rockbass-corvette-premium-4-string-electric-bass-guitar.

and at the same price my friend appear with this warwick:

warwick-corvette-std-4-aleman-98-seymour-duncan-activos_MLA-O-3523160451_122012.

is a warwick 98 modded with seymour duncan active mics i have this video of that ww too:

what do you think would be a better investment?

2. lyes4string

lyes4string

Dec 13, 2010
    Endorsing Artist of Warwick Basses
    if its a true Warwick made in germany it will always be better than a rockbass and imo the late 90's wicks are mean!

3. samtastic

samtastic

Jan 24, 2011
    The 98 Warwick corvette.
    The rockbasses were not built as well as the older corvettes.

4. lyes4string

lyes4string

Dec 13, 2010
    thats 2 for the 98...

5. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Zee Germans!

6. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    To be fair, the Rockbasses will NEVER be built as well as their German counterparts; they're not meant to be. That's not to say a Rockbass is a bad instrument; far from it. But that's like telling someone a Hyundai won't go as fast as a Ferrari, which it was never meant to in the first place.

To the OP, I have a late 90s Corvette with active Seymour Duncan pickups/preamp (so essentially, I have that bass you're looking at). Get it. The tonal options and the build quality/reliability of the German made one is worth the extra for investment.

7. matius88

matius88

Jun 25, 2012
    Argentina
    hey thanks!

just for the record, how much difference of u$ are beetween a new warwick and a new rockbass warwick.

8. lyes4string

lyes4string

Dec 13, 2010
    well put

9. matius88

matius88

Jun 25, 2012
    Argentina
    thanks to you i decided the german warwick bass,

its has his marks and a little damage in the top i give you more photos.

its possible to Restore this bass damage (refill the top damage, and restore the fingerboard)?, or restored it can affect the performance?.

warwick-corvette-std-4-aleman-98-seymour-duncan-activos_MLA-O-3523160451_122012.

2012-12-04_20-13-25_803_zps2170554a.

here you can notice the damage from slapping:

Warwick4_zpsc18dcfbd.

2012-12-04_20-10-54_462_zps682c2ff7.

and this is the most damaged part:

2012-12-04_20-06-23_86_zps7e5d642e.

its possible to restore it and make it look new with a luthier?

thanks for all!

10. lyes4string

lyes4string

Dec 13, 2010
    if its just the end of the fretboard leave it, it will end up like that again, and imo thats not that bad looking. my thumb has grooves at end of fretboard and on both p/u from my strings, i play a lil rough. the wear and tear is what makes older basses better imo once again, breaks them in and adds character that ding is on the back anyway.

11. matius88

matius88

Jun 25, 2012
    Argentina
    thanks for the reply!

i know that old basses look cooler haha the marks it has are only from slapping it haha, my question was about if in any day i want to restore it, it would lose something of the bass performance?

thanks for all!!

12. lyes4string

lyes4string

Dec 13, 2010
    i dont think it would lose anything performance wise, but then again im not a luthier nor do i have the exprience of playing on a restored bass.

13. matius88

matius88

Jun 25, 2012
    Argentina
    hey, the last question hehe, this bass is from ash no?, i dont know anything about bubinga or ash, and i dont know how to determine what kind of wood is haha
    thanks in advance!

14. lyes4string

lyes4string

Dec 13, 2010
    get the serial # and shoot warwick an email or msg them on here, they should be able to give you all the specs you need for the bass. i thought vettes from these years were bubinga but then again my thumb isnt the normal wood used so anything is possible.

15. sippi

sippi

Sep 27, 2012
    South Florida
  16. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    german for sure
    is that a wenge neck or bubinga?
    those are some old seymours in there; i remember seeing those ads for them in the bass mags years ago.

17. matius88

matius88

Jun 25, 2012
    Argentina
    hi, i really dont know haha, the seymours are before 2001 i think, but i dont know the name of them too haha, i will send a mail to warwick for specs of that bass and to seymour for the mics hahaha

my friend told me that is from ash and bubinga, but i thought that they were all of ash or all of bubinga.

18. lyes4string

lyes4string

Dec 13, 2010
    from pics its hard to tell, but maybe bubinga top on ash body with wenge neck? at the same time other pics make the whole body look ash...

19. lyes4string

lyes4string

Dec 13, 2010
    i had a custom shop 2006 5 string ash corvette, ash is super soft wood and would explain excessive damage to the body from slapping and popping. as stated my thumb has the wear in about the same spots and just as much if not more and its bubinga.

20. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Ash body, wenge neck and fingerboard, old school switchable Duncan pickups I'm assuming with Duncan preamp. The body looks as if there is a thin matt finish on it but amazing things can be done to bring it back to life. The ding in the horn can be remedied to get it back 95% without any use of “fill” need a wet washcloth and a soldering iron and someone who has done it before. It’s a matter of wet heating the wood so the fibers pull in the moisture and swell almost to the exact shape it was before. Dip furniture grade high end steel wool in true oil and go over it lightly. Been in that movie.