1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What would you recommend? (audio rec)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by villis, Feb 24, 2017.

1. villis

villis

Mar 20, 2012
    Greece (Xanthi)
    Hello there and sorry for my language!
    I want to ask you guys about a recording method cause i have blow up my mind and still cant get the best way to record my bass for a modern sound.
    i cant say that i m not at all satisfied but i cant either say that its perfect(ok i am sure i cant rec my bass like a pro studio-just try to sound as good as possible with my axe)

ok here it is my equipment beside my basses

Ebs head Td 650
    Darkglass b7k
    Radial Jdi passive
    Scarlett solo interface
    plug ins : amplitube 3,mark studio 2, klanghelm compressor

how you would try to rec it

i tried a lot of possible combinations and i am still confused
    Any advice from a sound engineer?

2. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    A sizeable percentage of the tone you get from you bass is from your cabinet. A similarly large percentage of the tone you're going to get from recording is going to be from EQing, Reverb, Mixing, etc etc. To my knowledge there are few, if any, ways to make a bass sound good in a "plug and play" situation.

villis likes this.
  3. villis

villis

Mar 20, 2012
    Greece (Xanthi)
    ok yes i understand this but i cant rec my cab cause i dont have mic and i am recording at home so i dont want very loud recording !

4. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Right, that's totally fine! You'll just have to learn about EQing, reverb, mixing, and the like - there are plenty of tutorials out there aimed at beginners, I don't have youtube access at work but hopefully someone else can chime in. I just make my guitarist do everything.

47th Street likes this.
  5. blixild

blixild

Mar 4, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Personally, I would do this:
    Take the XLR output of the B7K into your Input 1 on your Scarlett.
    Run the 1/4" into your EBS head, and take the 1/4" line out on the back of the EBS head into input 2 on your Scarlett.
    Record onto separate channels in your DAW.
    This way you can have points of reference of how the amp affects your signal. You can also blend the pre- and post-amp sounds to better craft your tone.

Do you have fresh strings on your bass? The difference between new and old strings is much more noticeable when you're recording, especially if you're going for a modern sound. If you have older strings, I think changing them will be the simplest way to improve your tone.

6. villis

villis

Mar 20, 2012
    Greece (Xanthi)
    thank you very much i think this is the only thing that i havent try yet! yes i always rec with fresh strings!

ok so what about later? mark bass 2 plugin ? compressor? eq?

7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've been really happy with the direct recording tone through my Scarlett, but I ought to try this with my old Trace tube head. :)

villis likes this.
  8. blixild

blixild

Mar 4, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    That's going to depend on your personal tonal goals. I wouldn't add too much more amp simulation because that tends to muddy things up (in my experience). Cabinet and mic simulation is nice though. Try to get at least 75% of your tone before you start messing with plugins. But above all, use your ears. If you do the opposite of everything I've suggested and it sounds good, then roll with it.

Yeah, preamps in the Scarletts are awesome! They have the same preamps that are in the higher-end Focusrite interfaces.

squidtastic and villis like this.
  9. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I agree that they're awesome, but they're not the same preamps as what you'll find in the Clarett and Red models, which are their current batch of higher end units.

villis likes this.
  10. villis

villis

Mar 20, 2012
    Greece (Xanthi)
    In scarlett in the second channel it has a line -instrument switch. If i use the output from the Ebs there do you think it is better to have the switcher on line mode cause this way i avoid scarletts preamp and this way avoid to add color to Ebs preamp?

11. verstft

verstft

May 16, 2016
    Only thing that would potentially help is just a tad of limiting on the way in if you have a outboard compressor. I also use a mxr m81 to tone shape a little bit from the start. Otherwise. Just record a good clean di. Once in the box, get some good quality impulse response from red wires or own hammer and use a plug like mixIr to blend your di. Forget about amplitube. The gain staging is a nightmare. Get a good plugin compressor and eq. Most daws have that already. You don't need to buy fancy analog emulations of gear to get good results.

villis likes this.
  12. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    What kind of bass are you playing?

13. villis

villis

Mar 20, 2012
    Greece (Xanthi)
    yes i think the clean di has more reality - purity in the tone!

14. villis

villis

Mar 20, 2012
    Greece (Xanthi)

Badwater and verstft like this.
  15. verstft

verstft

May 16, 2016
    Wow. Just subed your channel. Great playing and tone.

Yes. I forgot to mention. The mxr has two outputs including a pre/post switch. So I always get an uneffected clean di as well in a separate channel as a clean back up.

villis likes this.
  16. villis

villis

Mar 20, 2012
    Greece (Xanthi)
    thank you very much yes i actually will try to get the di from Ebs head and mix it with the di from Darkglass and see what can i cook, also i am considering only to use a good comp plugin and little eq

17. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Amplitube may be worth at least trying (though previous comment re: gain staging is true, so important to balance levels)... The "360 bass direct" preset gives a really full sound. A little eq afterwards to clean up the low mids and you could be happy.

18. villis

villis

Mar 20, 2012
    Greece (Xanthi)
    yes indeed and the ampeg heads are pretty good

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Youtube is your friend when it comes to recording technique.

Try these two for starters:

The advice to get a good clean sound onto two tracks, apply processing to one of them, and then mix the two has always worked best for me.

What processing you use depends on what you have by way of outboard devices and software plugins. I've generally found some combination of: amp/speaker emulation, a hint of some sort of modulation, some reverb/delay, and some judicious compression (the DAW I work with has really nice compressor plug ins) manage to provide a really nice bass sound.

villis likes this.
  20. villis

villis

Mar 20, 2012
    Greece (Xanthi)
    Thanks for the advice. As for the first video a cant rec with cab cause i dont have a mic and as i said i can rec at a noisy house.I use Ableton suite and i think it has very good also Eq :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021