Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what would you recommend i add to my effects setup? (phaser etc)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mrWr0ng, Jun 22, 2002.

1. I'm thinking of getting a phaser and possibly a light overdrive for my setup, and i'm wondering what different people think would be good, and good to add to the setup as a whole.
    here's what i've got now:

bass goes to Dunlop Bass Wah, then Proco Rat, then Boss Equalizer, then Boss Compressor, then Boss Digital Delay. the distortion has its place with the equalizer being used to get a nice deep tone with plenty of distortion, but i was thinking of a lighter overdrive to balance it out when id on't want to get all the way into it.
    everything sounds great, but i'd like a few other things i can throw in to switch up my sounds a little.
    everything right now goes into an Eden WT400, into a 410XLT and 115, so my tone is absolutely fabulous, i i just want a few here and there's to switch things up.
    musically we play mostly hardcore, hard rock at least, but i find room for everything.

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    For a light overdrive you might try putting a clean boost in front of your amp and simply overdrive your amp (depending on how that sounds). Since this would push the tube (IIRC) preamp in the Eden, it would probably give you a better "slightly-driven" tone than a stompbox overdrive.

I had a small stone phaser in my signal chain for a while. Didn't really find it all that useful. Maybe some sort of filter would be worth a shot instead. The DOD enelope filter usually gets the thumbs up and it's dirt cheap. OTOH, if you want something really crazy you could break the bank and go for an E-H Bass Microsynth. Fuzz and filters all togther in one package.

3. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Hewwo Missa Wong!

Sorry, just had to say that.

4. do you know how i would overdrive the tube in my amp? I didn't even know it was possible, i might be doing it now, but I don't know.

5. if there is a pre-amp gain *and* a master volume, just put the pre amp gain all the way up, and pull the master volume down. I love that sound.

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    If the signal is breaking up and distorting like it would with an overdrive pedal, then that's what you're doing. Cranking the gain or sending a really strong signal into the amp (like what a clean boost) will push the amp so that the signal breaks-up. There are people here with lots more electronics knowledge who can expand on this explanation.

7. ok. usually when i play i adjust the preamp to just before clipping and then back off of it. so it's usually a pretty good signal withotu getting distorted. then i compress the hell out of it, so i don't even clip anymore. i guess i can try boosting the preamp WAY up and seeing what kind of sound i can get there... only problem then is that when i want a clean sound again, i'd have to readjust the settings on the amp, not as on-the-fly as hitting a pedal

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    That's why you use a clean boost pedal to bump the gain up only when you want it to distort. The rest of the time it's clean.