1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what would you recommend

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gracebwithu, Jul 4, 2014.

1. gracebwithu

gracebwithu

Jun 27, 2014
    looking to get an amp for me and my stepdaughter nothing fancy guess what i am asking is what would be the best combo amp to buy used thanks in advance

2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Second generation Fender Rumble 150 (1x15) or a Fender Rumble 350 (2x10) Both are D-Calss ICEPower; well made, reliable, and have excellent sound quality with Fabulous Fender tone. In the $200-$300 range used from Guitar Center. Check ebay and your local Craigslist.

Also for $300 you can get a brand new version 3 Fender Rumble 100 combo shipped from any of the major e-tailers with a 5 year warranty. Lots of love for these over at the Fender Rumble Club. http://www.talkbass.com/threads/fender-rumble-club.970397/page-57 Browse through the many pages of raves and reviews. Real bass players from all walks of life tell it like it is.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's a matter of personal preference. Assuming you mean for this amp to be used as a quiet at home practice amp, any reputable brand will do. If however, you need to play with others, and drums are involved, a combo amp is not a good choice.

AlexanderB likes this.
  4. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I agree.
    Start by deciding what it will be used for.
    The same amount of money will give very different rigs if one is optimised for home practice and fun, where the other setup has to be a reliable and loud rig for playing in a band with real drums etc.

5. gracebwithu

gracebwithu

Jun 27, 2014
    at home generally but i would like to have the option of playing with other people

Linnin likes this.
  6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Then you are going to want something in the 100 watt or more range with at least a 12" woofer if not a 15", or pair of 10's. As always, "Let the buyer beware", especially when dealing in a used bass combo as used often = abused. So be sure to plug in and crank that puppy to make sure there isn't any buzzing & rattling of the cabinet, or farting of the woofer, and no high end hissing pouring out.

I've included this link just to give you an idea of what is available and at what price ranges.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Solid-S...ondition-Great,Condition-Excellent&ipp=50&o=3

7. If weight is not a huge concern, a used Peavey combo is the deal. Loud, sounds good, inexpensive and are practically bullet proof. Downsides: heavy and lack of resale value.

8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Nonsense.

nashvillebill, Sid Fang and Linnin like this.
  9. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    Tons of options. Think about what you realistically want and what your restrictions are. Post that info and it will really help narrow the focus.

• How much are you realistically willing to spend?
    • Do you have weight/size restrictions?
    • What type of music will you be playing?
    • Type of gigs (church, jam sessions, clubs, festivals etc...)?
    Peavey is always at the top of the list due to price, availability, bulletproof construction. I have friends playing very old Peavey combos and they do a good job. GK is another brand that get favorable consideration too. I also see lots of folks recommend the new Fender combos as well.

But no matter what brand you are considering, it comes down to the answers to the above questions.

nashvillebill and Linnin like this.
  10. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    100-250W, 1x12"/1x15"/2x10" speaker, not tube (tube amps sound great, but are heavier and higher maintenance than you probably want to bother with).

Within that very broad set of parameters, there are fine combos out there from Ampeg, Fender, Gallien-Kreuger (GK), Genz-Benz (GB, recently discontinued but good stuff to find used), Markbass, and Peavey. There are lots of lesser-known marks that could be great deals used, but it's likely too much trouble to distinguish those from crap off-brands. For your purposes, I'd think that the best price for the best condition is probably more important than the make/model. Just be sure to try before you buy, and crank it loud enough to be sure it's not going to rattle or fart on you.

11. How good is your stepdaughter at getting men to do the heavy lifting? Or is she hefty and athletic? Most girls would struggle with a combo fit for gigging. The older Peavey 15 are seriously back breaking but the newer ones aren't so hard to get under.

12. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Certainly something to keep in mind, but let's not get too carried away with retro gallantry that might be taken for sexism ;o). The average woman can lift 50lbs without too much trouble. And little flat or collapsible wheeled carts are easy to come by and handy for heavy combos. I'm a pretty big and reasonably strong dude, but I wouldn't be willing to use my Marshall 6101 guitar combo without one.

But all that haviing been said, yeah, weight may well be a factor, and will argue against Peavey tanks and 2x10" combos. My EBS Drome, 150W 1x12" at just offer 40lbs, is an easy 1-handed carry for me. That specific model is so rare that I don't bother recommending it anymore, but I think there are GK and Markbass units out there with similar profiles.

13. I'd recommend one of the new Fender Rumble combo's.
    100w -1x12" at least. But preferably either the 200w -1x15" or the 500w-2x10"

Linnin likes this.
  14. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    get one one these .....kills on power and tone....http://traynoramps.com/bass/dynablock/product/dnb112/
    and they have a matching 112 extension cab if you need more .......400w if you use a 2nd cab, 200w+/- on its own......and they have a 15" version as well....

15. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    Ibanez Promethean: light weight, high power, good sound.
    I use mine for a practice amp, and for small gigs.

16. gracebwithu

gracebwithu

Jun 27, 2014
    thanks for the suggestions i will do some research on all these and more