Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would you think about a Bennie SC4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JPJ, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Benavente ash/maple bolt-on SC4

22 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. Benavente ash/maple set-neck SC4

17 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. Bennie SC4, but with different specs (list yours)

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. Who you kiddin'....nobody plays 4-strings anymore!

15 vote(s)
    26.8%
  1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Just wondering what my fellow Tbers would think about a 4-string Benavente singlecut? I know that there are lot of guys out there who still dig 4s, but it seems like all of the SCs that are being made are 5s and 6s, with the occasional 7, 8, or 9-string. Do you think that 4-string players would have a serious interest in a 4-string singlecut....possibly with an ash/maple/bolt-on configuration? Just wonderin'...... :smug:

2. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i like 4 string singlecuts, just not bolt on models. it feels like putting a really nice set of rims on a VW bug. but thats just me... set neck or neck through's the way to go.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm thinking about doing something that would be similar to Big Joe's VV5 that was at NAMM last year, but in a SC4...."just like this but different". :D

4. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I play a singlecut 4 neck-through. I think it's a great idea! I happen to like Benavente's SC bolt on design. On the other hand, I have played quite a few Benaventes, and my favorite was a set neck SC4. It was the one with the Macc ebony top. Brian told me it was not for sale and then sold it about 2 days later. LOL!

5. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Would this be for the Business or for yourself?

if it is for the business......

Under the new rules if your a dealer you shouldn't be posting about products you deal with.

If it's for yourself......

What every you like!

6. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Do these new rules stink? It seems to deter a lot of people who have a lot of knowledge from posting around here. These same people may have the most to offer. Are we so fragile that we can't handle being "pushed around" by the evil builders and dealers into buying equipment we don't want? Further, what is wrong with a dealer/builder getting opinions from a bunch of players to find out what he can do to give us what we want?

Outright advertisements are mucho cheesy, but I really haven't seen that many of them, except for the paid advertisements on the left margin. This should be an open forum which should allow pro's, beginners, builders, and whoever else to talk about bass.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Please re-read the explanations given by Paul and others. I agree that we regular readers lose out... we lose some spam, but we also lose some interesting pictures and info. OTOH, I would like TalkBass to continue to exist.

FWIW, I don't know if this particular thread is in violation or not... the mods will let us know.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Grey area for sure.... but I think this covers it

but I only moderate in "Bassists" and have no super powers here, if someone has issues with any post... simply report it. Posting objections within a thread is tacky

that said, Chris makes a few SC4 strings... most recent is his personal "True Flame" as seen @ NAMM.

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    My personal opinion is that I wouldn't bother building a 4 string SC. I would only build one if it was cutom orderred by someone. I would have no problem with doing a 5 string SC though. There's a much bigger market for 5's the any other string configuration, but I'm not saying how to run anyone's business, that's just me in this situation.

On a side note, I think that this thread should not be considerred a spam thread. He's getting feedback, not trying to promote an instrument that's for sale or in the process of being built.

10. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the input and votes guys. As for the comments above, I thought that this was OK, but if it needs to be closed...go ahead. It's not that big of a deal. Anyone who is familar with my posting activity and activity on TB knows that I don't make a habit of abusing the forum. I was genuinely and sincerely asking for opinions from my fellow TBers, and thought that this was within the new guidelines, but the last think I want to do is cause an issue....that clearly was not my intent. Nevertheless, the votes and comments I've received to this point have been very educational and are greatly appreciated.

11. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Nice bass to model it after! ;) :smug:

I think Chris can do no wrong as far as building goes. I think you might do better to get something a little more exotic than natural ash to appeal to the typical SC-lover. On the other hand, a more subdued top might be just the ticket for some who are into the single-cut look but want to keep it kind of neutral looking.

I think that an SC with some of the Vintage Vortex stylings would be very cool. Same bass with the binding, control panel, and pick-guard but with the attached upper bout as well... Nothing that I know of out there like that and it sounds pretty good on paper! :hyper: :help:

12. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
  13. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
  14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

[​IMG]

I'd hit it :bassist:

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    yea, but it would have to be a bolt-0n if its was a Vintage Single Cut.........

It would be cool to do a Vintage SC, but I'm not sure its something you want to build with out a customer in mind.... atleast test the market first like you are doing here..... very good post and I don't think it breaks any rules.

So how would a Vintage SC do in 4, 5, 6 string, etc. Is the pickguard and control plate to much on a SC design?

16. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Written by:
    Ken Smith

"Commercial users should only reply when asked for or to clear up confusion. They shoud Not start threads that involve the products they Make or Sell...... "

Replied by Paul:

"This is exactly what the policy is meant to accomplish "- (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/faq.php?) ...

I'm not trying to start anything here.......but if a few prior threads got shut down for showing there new bass...then why shouldn't this?

17. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    [​IMG]

ken did have a headstock thread just before namm asking for opinions. I think this is very much the same kind of thread.....

18. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Read the first exception listed which was pointed out by James Hart. ;)

19. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    On a more neutral topped or painted bass, I think the p-guard and the control plate would look great! :cool: