1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What would you think about a new sub-forum...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marlat, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    ....for members with over a certain number of years membership?

At the moment we already have the Lobby for supporting members as a place where more "controversial" discussions can be held and it seems to work fairly well for those topics which would never work in OT.

Would it work to have a sub-forum which only users with a joindate which was greater than say, 1 or 2 years from the current date can view / post in. With the same kind of rules as the Lobby / perhaps even more relaxed. It would work better than one based on post counts which can be run up by post-whores, and sort of "rewards" long standing members in the forum. The purpose could be to allow more "adult" (but not R rated) discussions which are more "openly" moderated. The forum would keep out trolls and spam as it shouldnt appear in general google searches of the web (like the lobby). I guess another possibility is to have an over 18 forum for supporting members with a verified birthdate or something like that. There seems to be at least some demand for such a forum given the way threads seem to be going in OT.

However, there is a downside to, because it makes long-standing membership and elitest club and sends a message that long-standing members are, perhaps, valued more than short-term members. Anyway its just a random thought, but I wondered what the general populaces view was about such a sub-forum.

Its not quite "suggestion box" ready, because I don't even know in my own mind whether I would want this sort of sub-forum or not. More just the beginnings of an idea.

2. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Great idea! We could call it the Know-It-All Forum!

:bag:

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    They already have those forums, they all have [DB] in the forum name. I guess you might be too new to have noticed that! :D

4. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    ^^^
    I LOLed!

:D

5. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Fogey Forum?

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Let's just create the Mark Latimour Forum. Make to sure it's big enough to fit his head. He can just sit there all day and pontificate. Answer his own questions with a high level of discourse. Then he can charge himself for his time because he is a lawyer afterall. Maybe he'll raise enough funds for his TB dues.

7. /thread

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Someone needs a hug.

9. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    :p

10. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Good call! It would distinguish it easily from the existing Know-****-All forums. :D

11. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Mark's a lawyer?

12. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    :D

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Get your own know-it-all forum, you oar wielding wanker. :eyebrow:

Seriously, I think a forum that doesn't allow anyone in who averages more than 10 posts a day would be nice... :D

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Hey Mark I just realized that I joined one week before you !

15. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    you nazi! :D

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You're just jealous 'cause you'd be locked out. :spit: :D

17. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Endorsing Artist: Red Zone Effects
    There's already a Latimour forum. It's called OT (on the DB side!)... :D

18. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    ^LOL. Maybe Mark is slowly realizing that he's a DB'r afterall is said an done. Just admit it. You'd be a lot happier with yourself.

19. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    Not really I'm already too busy with the forums I've got :D

20. I agree.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021