Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would you think of this...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Daytona955i, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I'm thinking about building a bass, using either Warmoth or just used parts and making my own. What would you think about a jazz bass body and neck with a badass bridge II and a music man stingray pickup with the appropriate pots, probably looking something like this. I play metal/hardcore and I think it would sound and feel awesome. I don't have either a Fender or a Music Man bass. I'd probably nickname it the Leo Special or something corny like that. Has anyone ever done this before?

[​IMG]

2. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    A little goofy lookin for me. May I suggest one with a double MM pickup and you would place the second one in the middle of the pickguard? Defiently would look better and would enhance the sound aswell. Slap a tort or a black pickguard on there too and that be something I would personally dig.

3. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    [​IMG]

I think I would use the music man metallic green and do a pearl black pickguard like this (very roughly, I didn't take too much time in changing the colors.)

I played a Stingray with a single pickup in that position and I really dug the sound, I would never change between pickups, I would just use whichever sounded best, unless I mixed the two like I do with my current bass's EMGs, but I liked the sound of just the one.

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    You could probably save yourself a fair chuck of change and see if the new Big Block Precision is to your liking first before having a semi-custom made to spec.

[​IMG]

5. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    That's a good idea actually, I just don't like P bass necks, and I wanted it in green. Plus I think I could build it on my own, I have routers and sanders and a good amount of time painting automotive finishes. I think I could do it. (Plus enough understanding of instruments, soldering, and the lust for a new hobby to be able to fit the task I think).

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I looked into building a bass from parts from Warmoth.

Once I'd added up the options I wanted, the total cost would have been around $1300. :(

For that kind of money, I'd rather spend a few hundred extra and get Nino Valenti to build me a great bass, rather than risk screwing things up myself. Cutting the nut was the part that concerned me the most, along with leveling the frets properly.

A bass with two MM pickups would be pretty cool, though.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, a lot of people forget that frets need leveled when you buy necks from parts places. That's another $100 at least. I don't see the value in building parts basses myself. Unless you do what I did and buy cut-rate used parts off Ebay. About 6 years ago I built a P copy for like $200. It turned out great.

8. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I was planning on just buying a used jazz bass neck off ebay and sanding the headstock.

9. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I made a better photoshop...

[​IMG]

10. what does leveling frets involve?

11. lefty

lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    i just bought a luthier built warmoth off ebay for 300 bucks and it`s GREEN!!! it`s a vinage green like you would see on a 50`s chevy or something. was`nt shure i would like it at first but i dig it! warmoth stuff is killer, i have a frtless p neck on a jazz body and really like the neck. i also put together a warmoth p body with a japanese fender type neck that turned out pretty good. if you got the skills, go for it! i allways take it to someone who knows what they are doing to set it up. i got skills too(you know like bow hunting, computer hacking) but that settin up thing becomes pretty tricky. thats when years of experience is required to get it done right.