1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Yamaha is this???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanBass, Jan 15, 2012.

1. DanBass

DanBass

Jan 27, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    Can anyone identify? I am getting next week.. It's a Yamaha, looks good..

Any idea of the model?

View attachment 245385

Thanks!

2. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    It looks like a Yamaha BBG4S, but the electronics don't look to be that... maybe a passive version that isn't listed on Yamaha's page? The shape looks identical to the BBG4 basses anyway. :) Congratulations!

The electronics look more like the BBN4, though... hmmmm
    It's the two knobs that puzzle me. :) As the BBG4 had 4 knobs (for the preamp) and humbucker pickups, and the BBN4 had jazz pickups and three knobs. This looks like a cross over (The BBN5A had three knobs and humbuckers, but I don't know if there was ever a BBN4A, and it would require one of the knobs on your bass to be gone). :)

BBG4S - Guitars & Basses - Product Archive - Yamaha United States

This is close:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-BBn4...05?pt=Guitar&hash=item1e6a370801#ht_720wt_881

But again, three knobs... not two! But it's definitely in the right product series! :D
    So probably a BBN4 of some variation.

3. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Studying the picture, isn't that a knob missing on that one? Hard to say in that photo, do you have higher res photos? :)

I think my conclusion is that it's a Yamaha BBN4 III, like this one, only with a missing knob. :)

_c762442_image_0.

4. Marihino

Marihino

Mar 25, 2010
    London
    yeah, I think it is, there seems to be a potentiometer shaft, only without a knob. Good bass. One of these (but a 5 string version) is Mike Mondesir's main bass, and it has been for years.

5. DanBass

DanBass

Jan 27, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    I think the knob missing theory is accurate! I don't know much about Yamaha basses to be honest, but I saw it and liked it, and the price was (or seemed to me) to be right! Actually better than right.

So if I say I scored for less than $200 I can assume I did very well?

6. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Looks like my BBN5 five string. Got this at a pawnshop for $150. Got some buckle rash on the back and a few nicks and scrapes, but a great player. That's a good score. They are at least as good as a MIM Fender, and I like the string spacing on this five better than on Fender fives.

yamahabbn51.

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Supporting Member

May 4, 2002
    New Mexico
    I have the BBN4F-II fretless version of this bass and it is my favorite fretless! It plays and sounds incredibly good! I paid $350 new and have no intentions of selling it. As a matter of fact, and I expect to get verbally abused for this, I am still trying to get my US Lakland 4-94 Fretless to sound like this does! I get close, but still not the same. Of course this is not a fretless but it will give a nice Jazz bass growl. Try putting the neck Pickup on about 4 and the bridge up full with the tone control at about 4.

8. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Yamaha BBN4III.