Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What year did Modulus start using Trussrods?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Halftooth, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I wanted to know what year Modulus started adding the trussrods to their basses, and are the models without them inferior to the ones that do have them. I am considerring a couple of older Mods without the trussrod, but I don't want to buy one if they hard to sell later in the future.

2. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I'm not sure when Modulus started using a truss rod but I own a 1992 Quantum 5 without a truss rod. I've had ZERO complaints re: lack of truss rod. I play with fairly low action and very low relief. There was a brief period in the past 12-18 months when for sale ads pointed out the fact that the bass for sale was a "superior, later date instrument" that had a truss rod. The older Moduli sellers then touted their "classic, hand-formed shape" that no new Modulus could hope to replicate. With the value so flat on most high-end basses, the old vs. new argument is mute on the part of the sellers. I just saw a very new condition, but used, Modulus Q5 going for $1250. That's approaching wholesale trade-in values. Too bad I already have such a great graphite necked classic. ;)

3. Q-Phonix

Q-Phonix

Sep 28, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I think it was 1999.

4. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    After 1996. I believe it was in 1999 in conjunction with the release of the Anniversary model, but this is a guess.

5. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Thanks for the info. I'm considerring purchasing an older one without the truss, and I suppose the feeling is that it's not too big off a deal not having the truss. I think I 'm getting a pretty good deal on one and will probobly go ahead and pull the trigger then.

6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I have a 1996. Amazing intonation and sustain up and down the neck and no buzzes. No truss rod. Pull the trigger.;)

[​IMG]

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

I have one with a none truss rod.

Here is a discussion that I had:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=65486&highlight=modulus

I love it, my favorite bass ever!!

The only comment I heard was the truss rod gives you a chance to add more relief in the neck if you like a higher action.

Also the non truss rod necks have a little thiner profile that some like. I prefer it over the new ones, but its realy apples and oranges.

8. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, I just pulled it last night and I can't wait to actually get it.

Odie,
    Thanks for that link talking about the truss vs. non truss Mods. I like my action low, so it really isn't a big thing to have the truss if it favors low action anyway.

Thanks again for all the help! I'll post pics soon.

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I'm excited for you. Can't wait for the pics.:)

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Yup.

Chas

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It seems like every time one of the Modulus truss rod posts pops up, I make the following comments and every time, it gets ignored. But it makes me feel better to make it:

It's not a truss rod.

The description of the "relief adjustment system" at the Modulus site clearly describes it as "non-structural."

The only advantage of it is to offer a bit more flexibility with relief in setup. It will do nothing to stabilize the neck.

No, I don't feel any better, but at least I am on the record!!

Chas

12. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Chasarms,

Thank you for your input.:)

13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

You're too kind. I fear my birth order is becoming obvious!!!

14. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    We first borns stick together!;)

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I thought about mentioning this, but you do such a good job I thought I'd leave it to you. :D

Short explanation: the adjustable necks aren't any more stable, they're simply adjustable.

FWIW, I have an adjustable '00, but the relief system wasn't a factor in my decision. I have never felt the need to change the factory-set relief. Heck, I'm not even aware of anyone else doing so (though I'm sure some have).

16. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Here it is, and I can't believe how great these basses are! It's great for the tapping lines, and I don't think the lack of a relief adjustment is going to affect me too much. The neck is fine just the way it is.
    [​IMG]

17. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Stunning!

18. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Do all Genesis basses have truss rods?

19. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    that finish is AMAZING!! i really dig the looks, I hope to grab a modulus soon, but a little low on funds.

20. rickreyn, your spalt modulus is absolutely gorgeous!!:eek:

Can I make an offer;)