1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What year do you believe this P bass neck is ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jakobian13, Apr 23, 2011.

1. jakobian13

jakobian13

Mar 19, 2010
    San Francisco
    I know the history of this neck since day one. It is an anomly of a neck. It is stamped B ( Precesion bass ) May ( month) 69 ( year ) and B ( neck size ).
    That would make it appear to be a May 69 P bass,but it isnt.
    The tuners are no name Klusons reverse wind. Never altered. It has pearl,not clay dots. It does not have frets,but the lines are cut into the fretboard. It never had frets. EVER ! It has a brass nut. It does not have the drill hole in back of headstock where the strap would go.
    The headstock decal is of the 69 vintage.
    What year do you believe this neck is actually from? It is not a May 69 neck. I was bought in May 69 however.
    I look forward to your replies. If any people should figure this out,it is on this forum.
    I know the date of the neck and will relate how it came about after your replies.
    Neck has a lot of wear ,but machine heads which are original are very clean.

2. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    Pics would help. A lot.

3. jakobian13

jakobian13

Mar 19, 2010
    San Francisco
    Hope they come through.

Attached Files:

4. jakobian13

jakobian13

Mar 19, 2010
    San Francisco
    Im trying. It is deleting them ?

Attached Files:

5. jakobian13

jakobian13

Mar 19, 2010
    San Francisco
    date at end of neck

Attached Files:

6. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    nevermind reread the first post

7. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    That looks like a 69 P-bass neck. It has been de-fretted for sure. The fingerboard is very thin, you can see plainly it was plained down a lot. The tuners are probably older ones that were put on that bass.

8. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    Based on what you say beyond what I quoted, it seems as if you are baiting us...but I'll bite - a bit.

Post a picture of the side dots relative to the fingerboard and I'll bite further.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    why don't you think it's a 69 neck if you've had it since then? honestly, i think we're being yanked, and the headstock looking so good makes me want to call shenanigans. in any event, that fingerboard looks like it's on its last legs. there's so little room to take off any more wood, and those grooves are pretty deep.

10. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Does anyone else think it's weird that the headstock is so pristine?

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see that Jimmy said the same thing.

11. bobbolux

bobbolux

Apr 1, 2011
    SoCal
    the tuners are re-issue tuners, you can tell by the threads. those would be '82 at the oldest. neck appears to be a 69 with the frets pulled and a terrible plaining job on the fretboard.