1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Year Fender Jazz is this??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GregBass1979, Aug 31, 2008.

1. GregBass1979

GregBass1979

Feb 26, 2008
    Placentia,Ca
    Can't tell what year it is..no S/N visable but nice maple neck {fretless} and cool ashtray. Anyone have a clue..is it worth any money?
    cb40_12.

cece_12.

2. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    How many bolts on the neck? No serial number on the neck plate? Pull the 3 screws on the control plate and check the pot codes.

3. Obviously, I don't know what exact year, but for the fun of it I'll say it's a 70's Jazz by the looks of the headstock font.

4. GregBass1979

GregBass1979

Feb 26, 2008
    Placentia,Ca
    It's not in mine {yet}..and it's not in my hands otherwise I'd check it for you. There's no way to tell by the decal on the headstock..if I can grab it for say $750 should I do it?

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I don't see why not. Looks like an early 80s Jazz to me though.

6. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    I don't recall fretless Maple boards on Jazz basses. I think P basses had them starting around 73. Are the frets ripped out of the board? Black pickguards start about 74 but I see no holes for Pickup cover or thumbrest I'd be a little suspect of this bass. Three bolt necks started in late 74 with the serial number on the neckplate moving to the headstock in 76. Blocks, dots, or plain maple board and I don't see any binding.

Heres a pic of my 74 jazz bass headstock. Note string tree placement. and where the jazz bass streches out to the last string post and the patent numbers even with the lower part of Jazz bass.

7. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Maybe a reissue or a clever relic?

8. Something doesn't look quite right to me about that headstock. Maybe it's the tuners?

9. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I will recant and say maybe a Greco copy with a very clever fake?

10. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    Does the decal look right to ya'll? Does it look aftermarket?

11. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    You can't buy this bass unseen. Once it's in your hands, it will be easy to say...

12. i would never buy anything i could not play first..well you know what i mean..to this degree...kind of ehh..not sure if its real or not..it's a risk..i say just question the seller more..and ask for more pictures..you never know like others posted above..it could be a VERY clever relic.. or a fake?

13. The decal looks totally bogus. The "Jazz Bass" portion is all jacked up; sizing problems, font shape problems, etc.

The tuners appear to be Mexican, Highway One, or God knows what.

$750? If these two pix is all you have to go on then I say hell no!

View attachment 101610

14. GregBass1979

GregBass1979

Feb 26, 2008
    Placentia,Ca
    Bone: Yeah the "J" in the word Jazz is different than yours for sure. The guy is switching to upright acoustic bass and wants to off this one apparently. He doesn't seem to know much about it as well..I just want a very "Mwah" sounding bass with a little Jaco mixed in as a backup for jazz/easy listening gigs..and yeah I understand the whole "don't buy before you play" rule..but dang, this is awfully nice for the price.:ninja:

15. GregBass1979

GregBass1979

Feb 26, 2008
    Placentia,Ca
    I got more pics...
    c9f3_12.
    cc11_12.
    ccfd_12.
    cdcd_12.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Unless it's a fake.

17. OP'er there will be alot of other deals on the bay, here or anywhere else..if i were you i would let this one go..as we all know CG is just..too risky..

18. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Looks likes a custom/Frankenstein build to me. I wouldn't pay more than $500 for it. How do the pickups sound?

19. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    If it were a bass that I was interested in buying, I would play it first. Who cares if it's a "real" Fender or not. There are soo many Fender look-alike's out there......some that sound great/ in some cases, better than a Fender. It may be "real"...something from the 80's perhaps. Reguardless/ play the thing first. If it lights you up, buy it. If it leaves you wanting something more, don't buy it. It certainly looks cool. You can always swap out tuners if you don't dig the black look.

20. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Small tuners are not correct No Jazz basses I know of with unlined fretless boards in fact I don't think Fender produced a fretless Jazz until the 90s. Where's Caca and One Drop when you need them. Looks like a frankin bass to me.