What year is it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Or more appropriately, I should ask - how do you say the year. What I mean is, I was born in nineteen seventy four. Nobody ever said one thousand nine hundred and seventy four. I graduated HS in nineteen ninety three. This is how we said our years until the new millennium came along and we all got screwed up. Now everybody seems to say "two thousand and three". Why did everyone change the format? I understand that two thousand was kind of an exception because it didn't really fit the old format, but can't we get back to the old familiar format and start saying that this is twenty ought three (that is what I say, but I seem alone on this) or if you don't want to say ought, I suppose you could say twenty o three or something. Is it that people don't know what to do with the zero, is that the problem? Will people get back to normal? When? Twenty ten, twenty eleven? I'd like everyone to start saying twenty ought three or twenty 'o three right now. Am I alone on this?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I never say any of that, it's zweitausend(und)drei :p
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I always say,

"2000 zero zero, parties over, oops, outta time."
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That explains drunken postings in OT, if you always "...party like it's nineteen ninety nine!!!"!:D
  5. Tvöþúsund og þrjú. :smug:
  6. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    No, I don't particularly want people to say twenty ought three! I've never heard anyone say ought like that!

I think once we get into the tens people will start saying twenty-ten, twenty-fifteen etc. And I'm sure once we get into the twenties, it'll be twenty-twenty-five etc.

But I'm not particularly annoyed by people saying two-thousand-and-three etc.

What I would like to know is, what do we call this decade? The next one will be the tens (I suppose), then we've got the twenties, thirties etc, and the rest is easy. The last decade was the nineties. What's this one? The naughties?

Actually, it'll be weird once we're in the 30s etc... Right now, if you talk about music from the 20s, everyone will assume you mean the 1920s. But once we're past the 2020s... there'll be confusion! Especially when we're up to the latter half of the century, and we're talking about 50s, 60s, 70s music etc... Because, I imagine, people will still be listening to The Beatles.
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've always referred to this decade as the oughts.
  8. whiteshadow

Jul 3, 2001
    have you heard the song, "what day is it?" bby brak from space ghost? pure hilarity...
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I call it the aughts.
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    well for all practical purposes

I call it the OTs

cause then it fits more...you know?

it's still a little off topic, but whatever, whose counting really.
  11. I agree with moley. Once 2010 comes around it will go to twenty ten, not two-thousand ten.

12. Ya know, a thread with a title like that is apt to make someone come along and wonder if anyone wants to hear a horribly corny joke. :rolleyes:

Okay, I'd love to! :p

These two sailors are in a pub in London.
    They start drinking in the afternoon, and get so drunk that they didn't notice the extremely thick fog rolling in.

Hours later, the one says to the other, "It's late, we'd better try to get back to our ship."

They step outside, and can only see a few feet in front of them. Then the other says to the one, "Gee man, this stuff is so thick, we'll never find our ship. Maybe we should ask someone where the docks are."

Along comes the Admiral of their fleet. (which they, being drunk didn't notice)

So the one asks the Admiral, "Hey, hey, buddy, can you tell us where the docks are?"

The Admiral angrily responds, "BUDDY, BUDDY! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?"

Then the other says to the one, "Boy, that's great! We don't know where we are, and this guy doesn't know who he is!"

Put that tomato down, I've already left the building. :p

Everyone have a good and safe Labor day weekend.

Mike ;)
  13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I ought to call it that then?
  14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    d'oooh! :p :D
  15. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'd be willing to bet that the same thing happened at the beginning of the 1900's.

brad cook
  16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Dois mil e três.;)
  17. i always said "twenty-oh-three" but i got made fun of alot, becaus ei'm all technical. but yeah born in "nineteen-eighty-eight." so. it should be twenty-oh-three. bunch of snananigans. i agree with you.
  18. I think it should be twenty oh three. Obviously, two thousand is acceptable (we still say nineteen hundred, etc) but twenty oh one is essentially the same as nineteen oh one. At least some people are starting to say twenty thirty for 2030.