What year is my new-to-me Foundation?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kaleidescapist, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Kaleidescapist

Kaleidescapist

Mar 4, 2011
    I just picked up a Peavey Foundation fretless (my first bass! I'm so very, very thrilled), and the shop didn't know which year it was made. Any ideas? I'd really like to know, because there are manuals online for all the different Foundations, and I want to find the right one.

Thanks!

~Ace

P.S. TalkBass folk, thank you so much for all the help and encouragement this newbie has received from y'all, and for answering so many questions before I even found my first instrument.

bass!!!%20005.png
    bass!!!%20008.png
    bass!!!%20010.png

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Links are broken...what's the serial number?

3. Kaleidescapist

Kaleidescapist

Mar 4, 2011
    Should be fixed now - took me a few tries to figure out how to include photos. Serial # is 02797880

4. xaxxat

xaxxat

Oct 31, 2008

5. Kaleidescapist

Kaleidescapist

Mar 4, 2011
    Whoa, cool - it's older than me. Thanks a lot :)

6. Year is trivial when it's been modified.

Nice Original Bart pickups on your Foudnation S...

IT "may" be repainted

7. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Yeah, that's a repaint, but it is a great choice. You should get real good tone and ergonomics out of that Foundation.

8. Kaleidescapist

Kaleidescapist

Mar 4, 2011
    It is indeed a repaint - it's a bit chipped in places, which reveals a seriously gorgeous glitzy bright red underneath that stark white. I wish the previous owner had left the red, but otherwise - I LOVE this bass. It sounds, and feels, just amazing.

I hadn't realized that the pickups were a mod though - what would have originally been in an '87 Foundation?

9. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Two Super Ferrites.

Here's one from an 89 foundation.

[​IMG]

10. The Foundation pictured looks to be an "S" model. They came with a P-J pickup arrangement, not Super-Ferrites that came in the standard model.

11. loinmute

loinmute

Feb 11, 2011
    Wimberley,Texas
    That is a solid American bass guitar my friend.

12. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    :tiphat:

13. Foundation S were sold as a premium upgrade or alternative to the Precision Special.

Not a bad bass.. FL "S" are rare.

14. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I have a 1986 Foundations S. It is in the same Pearl White color. Matching Headstock and P & J pups. I bought it new. This is definately an S model but the nomeclature on the headstock looks different. Then again, I've never seen a fretless S model.

15. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Ok, I see where it is a repaint now, that would explain why the nomenclature is different. Awesome bass, I'll never part with mine.

16. Kaleidescapist

Kaleidescapist

Mar 4, 2011
    Cool! I had no idea it was the "S" model rather than the standard Foundation. Thanks a lot for the information, all :)

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021