1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What year is this Streamer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoulMaim, Apr 11, 2006.

1. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    Could anyone venture any insight on what year this Warwick Streamer 4 string might be from? I got it in a local shop for $200 because it had a broken truss rod, but its in the shop getting fixed up right now. The truss cover just says "Warwick Streamer" on it, although it looks to be the same configuration of the Streamer Stage I, perhaps from before they came out with the Stage I ? The electronics cover is also screw-on, not a pop-off one like on the new basses, and it says "Made in West Germany" on it. The pickups it had are the stock EMGs from whenever they used EMGs as the stock pups in their basses. Controls seem to be bass, mid, treble, and a master volume. Wenge fingerboard, and the edges are rolled I believe. Can't tell for sure what wood the body and neck are as they are all high gloss black finish. Any ideas on what year it might be?

Picture001.
    Picture002.
    Picture003.
    Picture006.
    Picture005.

2. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I guess between 86 and 92. I think Streamer production began around '86 or '85. The brass frerts and nut mean it's definatley pre '97. And I belive '92 or '93 they redesigned the Streamers a little and this looks pre-redesign. Oh and the Berlin Wall came down of course too, I'd imagine it stopped being labled as West Germany not too long after that. I dunno about the EMGs, I saw a '87 Streamer and it had stock barts, I think the EMGs came between the Barts and the MECS. So maybe circa 1990? Btw, nice price, beat up or not, still one heck of a deal. Give her some TLC and that's gonna be a fine little bass.

3. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Early to mid 90's most likely. That thing is beat to hell.

4. IIRC the first 2 digits of the serial # stamped on the edge of the headstock are the year of manufacture. It's been a while since I've owned a Warwick so YMMV.....

Jeff

5. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    Yeah she looked pretty rough when I got her. I've been on and off the phone with my lutheir all day today, hopefully it should get finished some time today, he's just working on putting a new truss rod in now.
    I've been considering stripping the finishing (there's gotta be some nice wood under there) and having it refinished natural or just with an oil stain, it would probably look really nice. The finish is really beat up but at least its durable, I'm glad the wood hasn't taken the brunt of the damage. Might leave it as-is at least for a while though.

6. That's probably a maple body under the paint....

7. Well, the Berlin Wall fell in 1989, and I doubt Warwick would take a year or more to change the label on their basses to "Made in Germany". Could be wrong though. If not, looks like you have a pre 90s streamer! Cool!
    Also, IMO, that bass could like awesome with a refin or maybe at least some touch up. I gotta say I wouldn't even mind all the scuffs and chips if I could find such a beauty for $200. How does it play and sound?
    -Alex

8. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    Well it didn't play all that well, since the neck was quite bowed (whoever owned it before had managed to break the truss rod). But the sound of that thing is just killer, best sounding warwick I've ever heard, I just had to buy it, especially for the price. Even if it would've been irrepairable, you couldn't get the EMGs and hardware for that much.

9. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Owner: Bass Direct
    Looks like an 80's Streamer, similar to a stage II with the string spacing. Probably a ovankol/wenge/alfzelia body, or maple if stage 1. Well worth stripping down if you can IMO.

Warwick necks are prone to twisting if not maintained, although they appear very strong. As long as your guitar guy knows his stuff you have a bargain there.

PS I worked for warwick for a couple of years in the 90's.

10. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Strip the paint and you could repair the battery compartment with another one... Then you could do whatever warwick does to their natural wood finishes now and do it like that.

Definately beat up but for $200, you got yourself a nice project bass.
    How do you plan on dealing with the neck through and painted neck if you are going to strip the wood.
    Sanding it or striping it with chemicals?

Keep up posted, this is cool.

11. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    The last two numbers should indicate the year.

12. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    Hmmm, can't wait to get it back so I can find out the actual year. If I get it stripped I'll probably have my luthier do it, whatever way he suggests is best. Hopefully he should have it ready for tomorrow... then I can bring in my Precision which I just got a nice tort guard for today, to have him fit a Badass II and Hipshot X-tender on it. :)