What years are great for Fender P or J ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gozan, Feb 14, 2001.

1. gozan

Sep 17, 2000
    What years are the best to buy a Fender Bass Jazz or Precision ?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

All the books I have read on this are agreed that '57 to '64 are the best and these are the only ones listed as worth collecting, on several guitar collector sites I've visited.

Other than these, my opinion is you're better off buying new, as the quality control at Fender has improved dramatically with their new factories inthe last few years and you also have the normal guarantees (consumer protection) and possibility of getting problems sorted out, by buying new. You also avoid the vastly-inflated market prices in this area - but if you come across a verified '62 Jazz bass - go for it!
  3. MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    I am not the biggest Fender fan,but I do have a 68 Precision.It has some pre-cbs original parts.Everytime I see an older P-bass at a reasonable price,I play it with the intention of possibly replacing mine.They never measure up.Everytime I hear another 68 it also has this same throatiness as mine. I must also say that Ive found the Js and Ps of the seventies to be real heavy tone dogs.IMHO.As far as the 80s and 90s go,I cant comment.
    I will say as far as the cheaper ones go ,the few (80s)Japanese P Re-issues Ive played were good values.
  4. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    newer ones are pretty decent and the pre-cbs are the cadalacs' of basses. The real deal. You cannot call yourself a owner of the best bass on earth untill you get a pre-cbs fender. In 1957 fender switch from the telecaster design to the kind of style we see today. In 1960? j-basses started being made. The transition period made some great basses too (late 65-67).
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Practically any year they were building them.

Pre-CBS means you'll be paying for it. It doesn't guarantee a great bass, just an old bass. There are still some deals to be had but they're rare.

My older Fenders are 68 and 78 Jazzes and they're both great (for a Fender;)) and they definitely aren't that hard to find, you just have to pay for them.

The Japanese Fenders seem to be pretty nice, too. So are the more recent 96-present basses.