Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What you are all running with your Aguilar 12's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Oct 10, 2005.

1. What kind of amps are you guys running with your Aguilar 1x12 cabs?? Right now Im running a GK700RB which is a solid amp. But, I've always had an issue with the EQ section of it. I dont know how to explain it but I've always thought I had to make drastic changes in the EQ to get the sound I wanted. For instace, to cut the treble to where I need it to be, I have to pretty much turn it all the way down. Maybe its just me, but it doesnt seem like there is much headroom in the EQ section (if you GK owners feel different, please tell me what your feelings are).

What ever you use with your Aguilars, please let me know what kinda amp it is, how many watts its pushing, and what the pros and cons of your amp are.. I'd like something with 2 channels (I play both upright and electric) but its not a necessity. I'm willing to do the preamp/power amp thing also if I can keep the weight down..

2. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    I currently use a Mesa Walkabout into one Aguilar 1x12. I think that's about 160W (@ 8 ohms) or so. I only use it at home, since I play direct into the PA live, so no cons here.

Previously I've used a BBE BMax/QSC PLX1602 rig. Good rig and there's plenty of power (like 1600W in bridged mono, 300W stereo), but it was too heavy for me. (I don't like carrying around heavy stuff, even though it's not really that 'heavy').

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Well I have two Aggie cabs. One GS112 (1x12 8 ohm) and one GS212 (2x12 4 ohm). I use two different heads with them. I have a Aggie AG500SC, which I really like. It's light, got all (or just about all, more on that in a sec) features that I want and has great tone (nice n buttery).

My second head is an old AMP BH-420. It's got the most flexable eq I've ever used, it's LOUD and has the best tone I've heard out of a head to date (others here on TB that have em agree). It's a bit heavier than the Aggie head, has a few less features overall (lack of a ground lift switch and DI level, pad switch, though it has a padded input, etc). Both heads are a GREAT match for the Aggie cabs but I have only one issue. I cannot use both cabs together at the same time because when combined, it's a 2.67 ohm load. Both heads only go down to 4 ohms each. So I'm on the hunt for a light weight, fairly high wattage head that goes down to 2 ohms to match up with my heads OR I sell the GS212 and get anoher GS112 but I LOVE my GS212, so I'm torn personally. Either way, either of these two heads pair up quite nicely with Aggie cabs....

4. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I usually run my aggy 359 into the 112's. Awesome jazz rig. When I don't want to carry as much I use an Eden WT600.

5. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I use an Aguilar DB750 with them (and a GS410:D) and they sound awesome. I agree with what you said about your GK amp. I never liked them much, but when i've played them I've had to cut the treble knob almost al the way. I do like the 800 and 2001 models. But IMO GK are kind of bright.

Take care...

6. Unfortunatly, most of the Aguilar heads are out of my price range right now :(

7. Quadzilla

Not really, a AG500SC is about the same price as that Tech 21 that you were looking at and they can be had for $750ish used... It's a great head with that tell-tale Aguilar tone and it's light (17 lbs) and has PLENTY of headroom!

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Mainly an EBS HD350 into a pair of GS112's, but lately, I've been using my Mesa Walkabout into them as well. Awesome tone and portability. Plenty of horsepower for any live setting unless bandmembers are going for blood from the ears.

The Aggies tend to have accentuated mids, so they pair amazingly well with my EBS, which is scooped in nature (before any EQ). It's rated at 350W, but very conservatively, IMHO. I'd compare it to most 500W amps. The Mesa (300W @ 4ohms, but also rated conservatively IMHO) doesn't have the same scooped tone per se, but being a TOOOOOB amp, it has an extra depth/warmth to it that also works extremely well with the Aggies. I'm really happy about the sound.

I have one complaint. Now that I've got this tight little powerhouse rig, I find I have to elevate or kick it back somehow to hear it properly on stage (I always go direct, so my cabs are mainly for my own stage monitoring, so I really want to hear them well, and not just the low end). I'd have the same problem with whatever I chose, so it's not an Aggie thing, but it is something I'm looking into solutions for, and may even start a thread on. I've tried some things, but still haven't found the perfect solution.

9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    GK1001RB-II here, two GS-112's. Alright, this head is bright. No question. I turn my treble down sometimes to 9:00 O'clock as well.
    But thats with my MTD535 that has zing for days from the git go and the EQ flat.

Having said that, my Lull MV5 with Sadowsky hummers needs more treble to cut, but not much more. Its a matter of trade offs. If the idea of turning your treble down, or not "running flat" to get your sound is hard on you, maybe a different head is best for you.

It's a trade off for me, because I like the change in tone I get compared to my Eden Wt800, even if it is bright.

For me, turning down the treble is always easier than turning it up and getting more distortion or noise. One more thing, I use the woofer high cut when running full range to remove the "crispy" factor.

Hope my ramble helps. I DIG the sound of GK with the lil aggies.

10. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have two pair of the GS112s. I use one with an F-1X/PLX1602 set up and the other pair with a TF550. Love 'em both.

Kim

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I use two Aguilar GS112's in my fairly loud classic rock band. I'm using an Ampeg SVPCL pre amp with a Yamaha power amp putting 275 watts into each cab.
    I agree with Vic about sometimes having problems hearing my rig onstage just because the speaker cabs are fairly short. Standing 10 feet away or further from my rig solves the problem. I thought about adding a 210 cab to the rig angled up at me on stage but when it comes down to it I really don't need to most of the time. Especially if it means carrying a third cab.

12. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Good point, but a lot of times I don't have that luxury. A lot of the bars we play have small stages... the music scene could be a LOT better in our area. :(

+1 ...actually, I've never "needed" more to hear myself. In my case, it'd just be all about elevating the rig (tho of course I would have it hooked up :) ).

Exactly my problem with the third cab "solution". Kinda' defeats the purpose of the Aggies awesome portability.

13. Quadzilla

Why not just put a 2x4 or 4x4 piece of wood in between the two cabs just in the front so the top cab is angled up at your head while the bottom cab shoots straight out to the crowd? That would prob solve your problem... Another option is to put one cab on the ground and the other on a light weight cab stand like one pictured below. I bought one new on Ebay for $32 shipped. I use it when I'm just using the one GS112 and but the head on top, but you could easily put another GS112 on the floor next to it. If I want to use two cabs, I can just toss my GS112 ontop of my GS212 for a nice stack, but I have yet to try that while playing out...

[​IMG]

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Here's your answer:

Markbass Mark Stand

[​IMG]

15. How did you get this stand to work??? I have one and the Aguilar cab is way too deep to fit on this stand..

16. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Here's what i'm using with my 212.
    [​IMG]

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    You can flip the rails around so the longer legs are under. I have one of these, and it does work, but my problem with stands like these are; 1) I now have no safe place to put my head/rack (don't like the floor, too close to drinks, feet, too hard to get to quickly) and 2) you really lose a lot of low end because it decouples you from the stage TOO much.

To try and solve the problem, I put one on the stage, head on that, and the second on the stand. So far, that's about the best, but still not ideal.

18. Hmm, for some reason I remember turning them around and still not being long enough. I'll have to try it again.

I had an old, foldable directors chair in the garage so I unscrewed the back and the arm handles off and use that to put my cab on..

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Obviously, you haven't tried this one, or you've never played on stages that weren't concrete solid. :)

I did. The problem is, the top cab now wants to slide off the bottom one... especially on stages that aren't like concrete. I almost lost an Eden 210XLT that way. Literally had to grab the cab with one hand while sustaining an open E on the song and fix it (and then stop jumping around like an idiot... but hey, the crowd dug it). The little corner grabbers just aren't quite enough friction to really make this a safe one.