Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What you guys reckon...real or fake?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by addylewis, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Looks like a parts bass to me. The head stock looks a little funny and the logo is a 70's type. It also has different type of truss rod hole. Most fenders I have seen with the truss rod at the headstock have a darker ring around the hole.

2. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    What are you hoping for here? That it might be a real Fender? I've dealt with this seller, he's a nice guy, and if it was a Fender, then he'd say so. Anyway, for the record, the headstock shape is wrong, the tuners are wrong, you've got the combination of a "Squier" neck plate and a "Fender" logo, terrible paintjob etc etc. And don't put any faith in the logo, as they can be bought from Ebay for about £10 - in fact, this seller provided me with a Mighty Mite neck that had a similar logo, only for a Jazz Bass. If you want a cheap bass, go for it - if you're looking for a bargain Fender, keep looking.

3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    +!
    Yes all the fenders ive seen and played have a brown/black ring around the truss rod hole. also the hole seems to be a bit longer on my jazz.

also the way the sunburst looks in the bottom left hand corner looks kinda weird. but I cant really say since ive never had a sunburst bass(but i really want one )

4. I didn't look at the link, but I've found the best way to tell is to feel 'em.

5. ...could it be the best parts off a couple squiers bolted together with a Fender logo? - Squiers aren't bad basses if you get a good one, and if no-one knows its not a real Fender when I may have a go for it

6. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

Do you think so? To me, the round part at the end (where the word "BASS" is) looks too small, and is out of proportion with the rest of the headstock (in comparison to a Fender, that is).

Actually, it might be another issue. I was just checking out "The Fender Bass", by Al Molinaro, and what's really obvious is that all the hardware pieces (tuners, string retainer) are in the wrong positions.

Anyway, I think we can safely say it's not a Fender! :D

7. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Have to disagree with you there, Hambone. Anyone agree?

8. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    " To me, the round part at the end (where the word "BASS" is) looks too small, and is out of proportion with the rest of the headstock (in comparison to a Fender, that is)."

+ 1 I had a look at a few p bass headstocks and the round bit on this one is smaller and less round than an actual Fender p headstock. I say squire with an aftermarket neck. Nothing wrong with that......

9. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]

vs.

[​IMG]

stop arguing

;)

10. I gotta say though - to the untrained eye its pretty hard to spot the difference innit? - at least its the RIGHT shape at least instead of the dodgy copies "Encore" and "Vintage" produce...