Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What you plug your FX-1 into

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kboyd, May 11, 2003.

1. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Just curious for FX-1 owners, what do you plug your Alembic FX-1 into? What amps have you tried that you like and what do you currently use

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i use a stewart world 2.1 power amp which is about 450 a side into 8 ohms
    i use a y cord out of the full range out of the alembic (i wish they put 2 full range outputs on that thing)
    i use the low pass out as a tuner send
    i also use an alembic superfilter in the effects loop - way cool.
    and i sometimes use a sans amp di before hitting the preamp

for what its worth a lot of people use the qsc plx amps which actually make at least one amp more powerful than the stewart

3. i presently use my F-2B through a crown powertech 2.1, so the bottom end is very tight, alas, that friggin fan noise is a real distraction when i'm playing smaller gigs.
    so i caved and ordered a hafler p4000 (convection cooled). not as much power as the crown, but the sound is UNBELIEVABLE.

anyway, this is my first post, and i dig it.;)

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've used a QSC PLX 2402, no problems there.

5. I use a QSC PLX 1202. Works just fine for me.

6. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    1) Rane Dynamic Controller in the effects loop. Full range out to a Symmetrix equalizer, then out to a QSC PLX1602 bridged into a pair of Acme LowB2s. My "portable rig".

2) Low out to a Peavey TNT 115BW (92 lbs.). High out to a Carvin DCM1000 bridged into an EA VL210B (70+ lbs.). Can you say "herniorrhaphy"?

I loved rig number two, but the surgery was costly.

7. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    The GAS is a gettin fierce!! I got alot of research to do. I appreciate all the input, keep it coming.

8. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Are there any downsides to using the power amps that you guys have named so far?

9. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I send a split signal out of the effects loop using a Y cable. One side goes to a Korg DTR rack tuner. The other side goes into an Aphex parametric EQ. This processed signal goes back into the "return." From there, the "full range" jack feeds into a BBE sonic maximizer, then a Behringer compressor, and finally a Crown CE2000 power amp, which drives my Acme Low B-2s.

Originally I was using a Crown Power Tech 2, but at 350 watts per side it just wasn't enough juice to power my Acmes. The CE2000 is big and heavy, but waaaay fat at 660 watts.

Lonnybass

10. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    funny you mention the crown, I just left the music store and they are selling CE 2000 or is it CE 2, for 599. I like the specs on it. I also like it because for practice I use a 4 ohm 2x12 portabass cab and at 4 ohm stereo, it puts out 660, nearly perfect.

11. I use a QSC/PLX 3002 set for parallel output with a Rane DC24 in the fx loop of my F-1X. Sounds damn fine through my two EB/MM HD212's. Massively deep....oh yeah.

12. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    The Crown's a good bet but it's as heavy as a ____ (insert graphic language here) and takes up three rack spaces. But it'll put a stupid grin on your face, and relocate your neighbor's house if you're so inclined.

Lonnybass

13. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    I hate my neighbors :)

14. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I use the F-1X with a PLX 1602. Love the combination. Were I to do it again, I'd probably opt for the PLX 2402...just because...
    Honestly, I have never run out of steam with the 1602, and it is actually matched better, power wise, in bridge mode to most cabs that I either have, or would encounter, than the 2402.
    Gee, guess I'm glad I have the 1602.
    If you are budget-constrained, take a look at the Yamaha CP2000. Yes, it's about 10 pounds heavier than the PLX series. It's a real solid, basic amp. I have a pair of them in my PA and have been very pleased. Nothing fancy, just power and reliability. Plus, it's available for $409, new.

Kim

15. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I use a Crest LT1000 with mine. Or a Stewart 1.0. Depends on with cabinet I'm using.

16. Hey all, I'm new here and really enjoy reading the forums.

I run my F1X into a QSC PLX 3002 bi-amped into a Carvin 2x10 and 1x15.

The 3002 is way overkill for this application. There is so much headroom that the bottom LED barely flickers (and there are three more stacked above!). Good thing, because my speakers are only rated for 400 watts and the QSC can put out 900 (4 ohms) per channel.

I used to use a QSC USA 900 with great results (450 watts per channel). These can be bought used for very little money. They're about 15lbs. heavier than the PLX.

17. I run a "Y" from the full range out into a BBE 462, into a Mackie 1400i. I have heard of problems with the 1400's jacks, but I have never experienced any problems with it.

18. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the biggest downside to the power amps like stewart and qsc plx is they cost $$$
    the upside is they are light and 2 rack spaces

fwiw, i have also used the f1x in front of eden and swr amps and the tone is much improved (and i like the tone of eden and swr amps)

19. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I, like rok51 above, run my Alembic into a PLX1602. It seems to work out pretty well. Although it seems that I can sure manage to bump the red LED pretty often.

I occasionally run this into an Ashley parametric EQ which I just love. But I'm thinking that I might get a Raven Labs True Blue EQ since the Ashley was bought for the monitors of my PA.

20. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I run my F-2B into a Carver PM1400.
    The Carver has a higher input impedance (recommended by Alembic) than most other power amps available.
    The downside to the Carver is that it doesn't bridge into 4 ohms.
    The Alembic and Carver go great together.