What you recommend for R&B, Gospel, Soul?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zapp, Jan 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    ?? Give me your top pick, 5 or 4 or both, for R&B & related

and signal chain if you have prefs

2. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    5 string for everything. lol:bassist:
    Signal chain is direct to amp, no effects.

T-Funk and funkinbottom like this.
  3. What is the question? Top pick of what? Artist? My current favorite is Anderson .Paak! Pedals? I think a tuner and compression would be all you need. Bass? Any P or J style bass.

Blankandson likes this.
  4. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    As Ray Brown put it, “know a lot of songs.”

antfarm and 12BitSlab like this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Really depends upon your definition of "R&B", "soul", "gospel" etc.

Classic Motown means a P with flats, and hopefully a tube amp. Modern stuff means round wound strings, possibly a 5. If we are talking Bootsy, you better be prepared to dance around your pedal board.

6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Zapp :)

For R and B,

get a J and a P! :D

greetings

Wise(b)ass

bassicg likes this.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Are you asking for bass and rig recommendations? Not sure of the question. If so...

Bass: Depends on the music but a 5 string will definitely cover modern gospel. A lot of Eb, D and C based tunes. Old school R&B, you can get away with a 4 string. Newer stuff.....5 string.
    Rig: Minimum 500w-800w amp. Multi-speaker (2x12, 4x10, 2x10) or multiple cabs (1x12, 2x10)

lowdownthump and Blankandson like this.
  8. I use a pedal tuner and compressor. Got a Bass Chorus because my BL wants that in some songs. Flats. Plenty of amps (already mentioned). I use 2x12 and 550 watt Fusion amp which is not right on target but can still work if you use fingers instead of a pick. Play mid-neck on a lot of songs and that gets me closer to boogie perfection.

9. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    I play modern Praise/Worship & Urban Gospel. I also play 70'-80' OldSchool Funk and Hip Hop , Motown and Modern R&B . The Fender Rumble 40 is for recording /practice /small open mike type settings, and getting that old school warmth. The GK 212ii is 500 watts 2X12 Neo light weight combo.

98E8E0D4-14F9-4735-B326-D56ACEC9F91D.jpeg

I have TI Flats on my Caprice, Marcus Miller Signature DR rounds on the Sire V3-5string Jazz Bass, and Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats (bright flats) on my MusicMan Stingray5 Special.

The Caprice is passive P/H (inline humbucker), The Sire active/passive, the Stingray5 Special is active.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Peter Lufrano likes this.
  10. caasi91

caasi91

Sep 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Ken Smith. Duh

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022