Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What'd y'all think of this auction?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by elvinstheman, Sep 21, 2005.

1. elvinstheman

elvinstheman

Jun 16, 2005
    Seattle, USA
  2. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    The bass is a Kay, and an older one at that... The lighter edges and blued Kluson tuners suggest the bass is possibly from the 40s, but almost certainly pre-60s. With the DeArmond pickup and the Red-o-Ray gut strings, that bass is all vintage, all the time... Looks to be in need only of a good setup. I'd get the pickup off of there and throw in some new strings, but I'd still hang on to those RORs. Given the rather bloated sums even the beat-up old Kays have been commanding over the past few years, I'd say the winning bidder got a pretty darn good deal on what looks to be a pretty solid example.

3. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    I'm surprised it doesn't say KAY on the tailpiece or an inside sticker.

I think Kay made some basses for sale in Sears Catalogs etc that aren't labeled. Anyone know?

They're crappy basses anyway!

4. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    HEY! That looks like MY Kay! I resent that comment! ;)

Only difference is my Kay has a custom Jeff Bollbach fingerboard and no pacemaker. AND IT SOUNDS GREAT!

5. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Ya know... I play a Kay :crying:

6. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    There not crappy, at all. There were plenty of guys that played them back in the day. I want to mention some, but for fear of sounding stupid I know someone else can chime in.

7. STRONGBOW

STRONGBOW

Aug 26, 2005
    I don't know about that. This looks identical to a 1961 Kay C-1 sunburst that I once owned, including the blued Kluson tuners. I don't think it is much older than mid-1950s. The D'Armond p/u is old technology and if you change it it looks like you get a hole in the belly for the bargain....I wouldn't pay more than $1500=$1800 for this type of bass, and especially if you are buying it without personally examining/playing it.

8. jstiel

jstiel Jim Stiel

Jun 5, 2004
    Lake Orion, MI
    Looks like someone got a good buy for $1,035.00

9. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas

I agree that it is pre 60's. I don't recall seeing a 60's C1 with nice veneer like that on the back. They usually looked much plainer.