Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whatdya think of this Sheehan video?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SBassman, Mar 6, 2006.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
  2. I think it should be posted in the "bassist" section

but no seriuosly its a rad video, i've seen it before but it amazing me everytime

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Is this from a live video?

4. I can appreciate his technical ability but not my bag at all.

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Billy's a crazy shredder.

i like his style. i get tired of mile-a-minute slapping styles, so it's fun to watch and listen to some old school shredding. :)

6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Same here. Technically it's impressive but not really my cup of tea. My solos are the exact opposite I guess, slower with alot of emphasis on bends and double stops.

7. FuManChu

FuManChu

Mar 3, 2005
    Cincinnati
    This thing is over 8 minutes long of self-indulgent mental masturbation from Billy Sheehan.....Holy Cr@p!! Call me old fashioned, but I always dig a bassline that has a groove. Is it a surprise that the guy owns many guitars?

8. I can sympathasize with some of the nay-sayers here. It isn't a very musical style. However, I admire Sheehan for being able to show up guitar players. He can obviously shred just as well they do on only 4 strings.

If the show-off solos are a huge part of metal anyway, then I'm glad he's there to represent the bass world.

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Sheehan's a technical monster, but for awesome wanking videos, I much prefer the monster duet between Bireli Lagrene and Dominique Di Piazza that Dave Benyahia posted in the "Recordings" forum. Check it out!

Technical facility's twice as impressive when the possessor understands what they're doing from a musical perspective.

10. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    It´s just show up solo for God sakes!!!

Anyone who has seen B.S. live with a band knows that the guy can be very musical an play for the team.

My 2 cents.

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Kewl. It evoked all kinds of responses. :)

My two cents:

- He's extremely accomplished.

- I enjoyed the first section of it - multiple minutes of it - but I tired. He lost me after the 12,000th note.

- I'm sure he can play musical and real bass lines, too, and there's no reason to get super bent over the amount of wanking, but still, it's just not my kind of bass solo. I wouldn't really call it a bass solo.

- I know I'm not helping with the PC speakers I pumped it through, but I didn't like his tone at all. I'm sure it serves him and the music, but that's not for me at all.

12. I wonder if he can play "smoke on the water"?

13. Very impressive, and it was a refreshing change from the Wooten-esque million-mile-an-hour slapping that I despise so much (not knocking Wooten, it just doesnt appeal to me).

I enjoyed it, but it was still just a ginormous wank-fest.:bag:

14. Correct me if I'm wrong- hasn't this been posted several dozen times?

I like some of his techniques and perspectives a lot. That said, solos aren't really my thing, especially when they're that long and guitarish.

15. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I'm not going to sit here and watch 8 minutes of Sheehan. I'm sorry. I think he's a hacker.

-Mark

16. uhhhhhhh i can do that :D jk

17. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    2 words come to mind, Japan and 80's:D

Edit: It's cool though;)

18. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I think HIS nickname should be "noodles"

19. Well . . . he's fast. :meh:

I was looking for the FF button 50 seconds in. Bass solos lose my interest very quickly, especially those with little feeling.

20. It's a good video, but I tell you one thing ... I'm glad it's not the 80's. Tights and long stringy hair really didn't look good back then and I hope it never comes back in style.