1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whatdya think of this Sheehan video?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SBassman, Mar 6, 2006.

1. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Yes it has been posted dozens of times.:oops:

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Same crap I hear at GC all the time.

3. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I'd rather hear 20 sec of a nice little repeated pocket groove than that TRIPE.

4. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I don't think a man should wear pants that are that tight. It's not a good look. :rollno:

As for the playing - the man has chops, though I'm not really a fan of the extended bass solo...

But his pants are really too tight. He looks like he's wearing a pair of girls tights. Then the other dude comes out in his tight pants. It's a tight pants party.

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I think he forgot there was an audience present, and got lost in his noodlefest.

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Made me LOL. :)

7. FuManChu

FuManChu

Mar 3, 2005
    Cincinnati
    All I can say is I was speechless while watching this :) It doesn't seem to be connected and is kinda a stream of consiousness thing. It's like someone had a stopwatch and yelled "GO" to see how many notes he could nail in 8 1/2 minutes. The guys Uber talented, just not my bag. I think I would have carpal tunnel by the end of that "solo". Is that what the Billy Sheehan preamp sounds like??

8. Outstanding.

I think a lot of people get turned off by the shear technicality of his solo. In terms of musicality, it's very strait forward rock/metal soloing. That's what it is and that's the style. You saw what it was going to be from the name of the file, get over it.

In anycase, i can't read lips, and I hate it when people talk to the crowd and elicits some type of response and I can't tell what the hell he's saying! Hate it!

9. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Please, stop that crap...

what's a bass solo to you, then? Maybe you should arrange a meeting with sheehan and show him how a real bass solo is supposed to be done..

is this a bass solo to you? http://www.basslobster.com/videos/mark_king.html

billy sheehans solo is atleast a little bit melodic but this one sounds so terrible annoying that my ears are bleeding, but i would still call it a bass solo...

would you say that jaun baudin(however you spell it) is not doing bass solos either? isn't he doing keyboard solos?

how about stu hamm? He's not a bass player either i guess..

10. trenken

trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    New Jersey
    Technically, obviously it's impressive playing that many notes with your fingers, but it's just so over the top 80's with a million notes and the ridiculous hair. Kind of embarrasing to watch that at work. If anyone catches me watching this I think I will just quit.

Way too much wanking going on there. I'm far more impressed with someone with technical ability, but only uses it at select moments. Shredding just doesn't blow me away like it used to 15 years ago.

11. I said this is another thread, but damn!

You guys whine about eve-ry-thing!

It's amazing!

It may not be your style, but to not call it a "solo" is ridiculous!

12. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

I'm glad I brought some humor. Hell, I laughed when I saw those pants.

13. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    +1

14. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    I will tell you all, if you haven't seen him live, the video's just don't it justice.

I've seen him twice at a bar outside of Detroit called the Ritz, it was as wide as maybe 4 or 5 bowling lanes and the stage is right there, maybe 4 or 5 feet high.

Unless you crank that video full bore with a good surround sound, you lose plenty of the harmonic qualities of his rig.

The reason people love/hate Billy is the same reason people love/hate Jaco, IMHO...

They were pioneers and their styles don't always appeal to everyone. I just hate to see people call it crap just because it's different.

15. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Billy is amazing. The stuff he plays in group situations is very tasteful and fits the style. He tends to play with the Steve Vai type, but he always picks the right notes, plays in time with the drummer and keeps his flashy stuff for his solo spots. In the words of Anthony Jackson, "Those who say that chops aren't important tend not to have any themselves." I'm not saying that we all should strive to play like Billy Sheehan, but at least give the guy props for being different. I have a saying I use, "If you can't play it then you have no right to knock it." The last thing I was gonna say is that the crowd loved his solo. They went there to hear 80's rock, therefor expected to hear shredding. He gave them what they wanted, but on the bass. I bet several people went home and said, "Dude, that bass player was righteous! I had no idea you could do that on a bass." Now they know, the bass guitar just got a big prop and a few new fans. Thanks Billy, keep it up.

16. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    yeah, i'm sure the audience totally hated it and thought "why dont he start to do the root note as all the other bass players"...

17. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I think you need to calm down, and realize you don't run the world. People have opinions. Live with it.

-Mark

18. Okay, here's a distinction some people seem to miss though, Mark, in regards to opinions and commentary regarding bassists...

Constructive <---------------------------> Douche-like

The majority of the posts tend to fall a bit more to the far-right of the spectrum, sadly, especially when you've got guys cutting down a man like Sheehan.

19. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I admire his technique and he´s obviously a rock bass icon. He´s probably the first bass shredder out there. I use to admire him a lot when I was younger.
    However, musically speaking, I don´t like most of his solos (like this one, for example)

20. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Please stop that crap? Brother, how about turning it down a few notches. This is not a serious discussion.