1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whatdya think of this Sheehan video?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SBassman, Mar 6, 2006.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Good Lord - this really brought out aggressive behavior in people.

Chill out. This is supposed to be a fun dialog. And, as far as my own comments, I start out praising the guy's accomplishments on the bass. I only say that it's not for me.
    Some of us Are allowed to make those decisions, too, right?

2. Wanker. I like his technique, but this is show boat status. Victor could take him one, easy.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    If any Admins stroll by this thread, please feel free to lock it.
    This was supposed to be a light, friendly, funny dialog, and it got inappropriate.

4. You must not talk about Billy Sheehan on talkbass, it should be stickied.

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    It's Billy doing what Billy does. Either you like it or you don't.

Slug

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    That sums it up.

I respect him as a musician, but my opinion is that he is a hacker. He's doing something i'm not doing though, so more power to him!

-Mark

7. Mike the Psych

Mike the Psych

Jan 29, 2006
    I agree, it gets very boring very fast.......not a solo and not musical........:crying:

8. currentbuzz

currentbuzz

Mar 4, 2006
    Chill out guys.. Sheehan's just doin what he practised 8 hours a day, if you could check all his videos you would notice that he do the same solo no matter what song or what place or what tempo he is playin he shread and taps the same pattern over and over.

if you saw bass day 97 you would pitty him when they all jammed together and the drummer started the swing thing and the bassist exchange solos billy was so clueless as he shread his way he sounds very poor( in terms of musicality) all he does is technical stuff and no musical stuff! poor Billy @ Bassday 97 :bag:

so what he does on the threadstarter's video i think is maximizing what he got to stay on his business :rolleyes:

my two cents :eyebrow:

9. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    +1 I couldn't have put it any better than that. Also, what a nice, humble, and polite man Billy is. Nothing but thumbs up from me, no justification needed.

10. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    I didn't know it was a contest.

11. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I found myself clicking through it and listening to about 15 seconds total. Just not my thing.

12. Can you post a link to it??

Can't find it.

Thanks!

13. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Owner: Bass Direct
    Thanks for the link - I met Billy in the UK at a bass clinic he held and he is a top guy - very open and interesting. He is, and has become famous because of his outrageous performance with Steve Vai and co on the first Dave Lee Roth album back in the late 80's - I love that album it is pure theatre and showmanship - not necessarily showing off!!

I am a funk/pop player but I love to hear to hear some exciting and over the top playing from time to time and IMO Billy leads the way with this style of playing. Long may he continue.:)

14. redwood

redwood Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I guess some of you guys should check out his current fusion project, Niacin.
    Sure he still shreds. But with Dennis Cambers to "encourage" him to lay into the groove, it's a different animal.
    The man is a pioneer in bass playing.
    Jaco brought the bass out of the background for jazz and Sheehan did it for rock.
    If you get a chance check out one of his instructional videos. Besides being very informative (regarding his techniques and equipment setup) you can get a feeling for who the "man" is.
    No pretense, very humble and genuine.
    I don' tget where some of you guys come off bashing the guy. Sure, you're all entiteled to your opinion. But if you don't like his stuff how about leaving it at "it's not my cup of tea."
    Personally I can't stand most of Jaco's stuff, but I would never offer comments other than I respect him as a bassist and musician.
    Done

15. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  16. I have one word for anyone who dislikes this stuff but actually digs Sheehan: Niacin - his power trio with Dennis Chambers and the organ guy (who I can never remember his name).

It's really s*** hot - really grooving with loads of nice tunes/riffs and Billy really nails everything down and solos great too - their version of Birdland is killing.

Love Bill's technique though - I'm a sucker for split harmonics - he really makes them sound amazing...:eek:

17. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Owner: Bass Direct
    Mike

I have been on itunes and they have four albums of Niacin. Do you have any suggestions of good tracks to download.

Thanks for your help.

18. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    I like Stomping Ground from Deep. Elbow Grease and Invisible King are also nice from Time Crunch.

I grabbed them Billy's site.

19. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    Now see, not only do I love Billy Sheehan, I really dig that Dominique di Piazza/Bireli Lagrene video. Does that bassist just use the finger pick on his thumb or is he using his other fingers, hard to tell in that video.

Still awesome no matter what.

I guess my youth playing brass opened my ears to many styles. I think I'm happier for it...

20. grizz

grizz

Sep 10, 2005
    Sheehan's a FREAK!