1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whatdya think of this Sheehan video?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SBassman, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Pick plus middle finger is his main style

2. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Imagine yourself - hopping onto a thread - thirsty with anticipation to tear into some "lame" bass video only to find out its YOU - 20 years ago.

Or 20 years from now - video of your gig last weekend gets posted in a board like this.

Just thought I'd toss that out there.

As for my own .02 - that video is entirely OF THAT TIME.

If you weren't alive yet - you might consider yourself lucky - but don't get too cocky - you're not exactly redeeming your generation with the whole emo/screamo thing either.

:smug:

3. Jeff,
    Congrats on winning the solo bass competition! Great tunes, awesome tone, and way to kill a thread! Masterfully done! Thank you!! Seriously!!!

I think Billy is great.:bassist:

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yeah- I've seen him three times, and this is true.

Sheehan once said one of his influences was Cliff Williams of AC/DC, simply because Williams lines were simple, but always fit and was "there" when they needed to be.

IMHO, Sheehan can shread and play in the groove- a complete bassist for what he does. He's a god among men when playing bass.

5. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Thanks much Chris. I appreciate it! :bassist:

6. +1 to all of that - I was about 15 when all the Sheehan stuff blew up first time around and it was damn cool at the time - I think Billy probably sees the total big-haired irony of the style and I guess even Paul Gilbert has mellowed since - this type of video really shouldn't be taken too seriously - it's great stuff for what it is but somewhat lacking taste - Bill's a dude and has been playing way longer than most of us put together - nuff said from me I think.

M

7. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Another thing to keep in mind is that is just the solo, yeah it is 8 minutes long, but there is a whole 1:52 left of a concert where he is playin in the pocket. He has said time and time again that it's all about playin the groove. Yeah he can shred, some like it and some dont. But the man has groove. Agian as i have posted many times before, check out Niacin, His solo stuff, hell even the MR.Big and DLR stuff. There is actually a rhythm section that lays down a groove for the song.

8. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    G3 Live In Tokyo -- Track 11.

"Yes." :D

'rick

9. Amen. :D

What Billy does (well, did back then) fit the idiom of the 80s hair-metal thing like a glove. Super-shredfests were part of the show back then (and still are, if you go to Japan - Billy is bigger than freakin' Justin Timberlake out there). If you've listened to what Billy does in Niacin, you'll see his repertoire is far larger than 64th-notes at 100mph - this guy is musical. In the clip, he just turned his talents to a particular idiom.

10. currentbuzz

currentbuzz

Mar 4, 2006
    Nice thread...based on the reactions!!! everyone of us is indeed a fan of Billy!