Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whatever happen to common sense courtesy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Man, you know I was in the G/C, checking out a bass, (I always keep my amp really low so "ONLY I CAN HEAR"and it never fails, someone will come in, plug in, and turn their amp up so loud no one else can hear a thing, and the bad part is they see you sittin there, but they just crank it up, and most of the time, they are just banging and slapping a bunch of nonsense :mad: and they just keep going and going and going, Dont get me wrong, I understand turning up and amp to see what it can kick out, especially if you plan to buy, but these cats, its all about the noise, and if another one comes in behind that person, they try to outplay or outnoise the other guy. I am just curious, is there no such thing as common sense curtisy in situations like that anymore? and BOTH, BASS PLAYERS AND GUITAR PLAYERS DO IT, not all of course, I finally just put the bass down, and walked out the store :spit:

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I dime the controls on the amp I am playing through and then I work through Schoenbergs Atonal scale.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Crank it up and strum open strings as hard as you can. For variation strum up and down. They'll get the message (hopefully). Be prepared to kick somebody's booty out in the parking lot if things turn south.

4. I've been in similar situations at local Sam Ash stores.

I plug in a bass, not that I'm looking for one, just testing the water with a really low "only I can hear it" volume, and some how, as though they were waiting to see what I'd do, some one sneaks up and plugs in to pump their volume up and go off as though they were trying to prove something.

I never understood why and thought it was a freak occurence, but I guess not.

5. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Whatever happened to proper spelling? :)
    It's supposed to be courtesy. :)

My local music store has a seperate room with big glass doors in which they keep the bass amps, and this is where we go when we want to try basses and bass amps. The amusing thing is that the deep frequencies of the bass sound travels through the walls and the door, which means that the whole store gets to hear the bass, but the bass player isn't bothered by the other store noise (guitar players etc.).

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    The thing with tube guitaramps is, that they need to be loud to achieve their best tone.

7. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    courtesy?

8. The next time someone does that, just tell them to turn down, if they don't, go get the store manager. Either that, or slap them across the head with your bass.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    :smug:

10. hey I am guilty of this, however it is ONLY when I am in there with cash to buy the thing that day. I'd like to think that I just don't make noise on it though. If I am not going to buy it, I rarely play it amplified or at a low level.

11. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Well caught!

My excuse: English is my lecond sanguage.

:)

12. On friday I went to Long and Mcquade with a friend, and I was just checking out some basses, she was contemplating buying an instrument so I suggested bass. We started looking at basses, and all of a sudden this guy plugs in, cranks the amp and just starts playing...noise. No slap/pop, tapping, no well known lines trying to impress people. Just playing straight notes with the bass cranked, no mids and no treble. Sounded like not good. I left right then and there(even the guitarists don't play as loud as this guy there).

13. +1 on the idea to let management know; they should have the common sense to monitor what's going on out on the floor.

I find this also happening in stereo shops, too! I'm looking over speakers, or other stuff, and all of a sudden some stereo down the line cranks up and blasts the entire store! What a crock! If I worked in either store, I'd be on them like grease on bacon! (...took me a while to think of that one!) ;)

14. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

None of my local stores allow people to use any of the gear unless they're actually gonna buy it... annoying really.

15. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    That seems kind of harsh, I bet that turns a lot of people off :meh:

16. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

17. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    I see quite lot of these posts here and I just wondered... can't you play with headphones? My amp has a port for regular plug and all...

Just a suggestion :bag:

18. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Not all amps can take headphone's as far as I know... my Trace doesn't, I know that... though I can route it through my GT-6B.

And yeah... it puts me off from trying a bass in a store... what annoys me is people selling instruments JUST to make money... if there's no passion / knowlege there... that turns me off too.

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The dreaded "GCwankeritis". It is a worldwide epidemic.

20. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Indeed. The only answer is to shirk your modesty and turn your amp up when other people are playing too loudly.