Whatever happened to Andrew Levy/Brand New Heavies?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by peteroberts, Sep 17, 2003.

1. I love the BNHs earlier stuff...BNH and Brother/Sister are great, I even like 'Heavy Rhyme Experience vol 1' even though I'm not a real big fan of hip-hop.

But what happened to these guys? They kind of disappeared after 'Trunk Full of Funk' came out. Is Andrew still out there? I love his feel.
  2. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I too would love to know what's happened to the Brand New Heavies. The only decent fan website has shut due to a complete lack of news since November 1999.

I remember seeing them on 'Later... with Jools Holland' (only decent music show on UK TV) a couple of years ago, about the time that the 'Trunk Funk' compilation was released. Carleen Anderson was their singer, and I know that they did a tour around this time.

Have heard nothing about them since. I did spot Simon Bartholomew's name mentioned in a review of some new CD: basically a load of musicians from London's jazz-funk scene jamming over programmed garage/house beats. I'll see if I can dig out some more info about the release.

Although it has nothing to do with the music: I remember reading in an article once that Simon and Andrew were "soulmates" - any accuracy in this?
  3. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    A Yahoo search last night (only for pages updated in the last twelve months) revealed that the Brand New Heavies actually released a new album in February of this year! For some reason, it has only been released in Japan. This is the page with the info: http://www.gnoosic.com/discussion/brand+new+heavies.html

It's called 'We Won't Stop', and is available from Amazon as an import (ships within 24 hours though).

4. man, as musch as I love the Heavies, I have a real hard time justifying $35 for a CD.