1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whatever happened to Andrew Levy/Brand New Heavies?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by peteroberts, Sep 17, 2003.

1. I love the BNHs earlier stuff...BNH and Brother/Sister are great, I even like 'Heavy Rhyme Experience vol 1' even though I'm not a real big fan of hip-hop.

But what happened to these guys? They kind of disappeared after 'Trunk Full of Funk' came out. Is Andrew still out there? I love his feel.

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I too would love to know what's happened to the Brand New Heavies. The only decent fan website has shut due to a complete lack of news since November 1999.

I remember seeing them on 'Later... with Jools Holland' (only decent music show on UK TV) a couple of years ago, about the time that the 'Trunk Funk' compilation was released. Carleen Anderson was their singer, and I know that they did a tour around this time.

Have heard nothing about them since. I did spot Simon Bartholomew's name mentioned in a review of some new CD: basically a load of musicians from London's jazz-funk scene jamming over programmed garage/house beats. I'll see if I can dig out some more info about the release.

Although it has nothing to do with the music: I remember reading in an article once that Simon and Andrew were "soulmates" - any accuracy in this?

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    A Yahoo search last night (only for pages updated in the last twelve months) revealed that the Brand New Heavies actually released a new album in February of this year! For some reason, it has only been released in Japan. This is the page with the info: http://www.gnoosic.com/discussion/brand+new+heavies.html

It's called 'We Won't Stop', and is available from Amazon as an import (ships within 24 hours though).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...246324?v=glance&s=music&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&st=*

4. man, as musch as I love the Heavies, I have a real hard time justifying $35 for a CD.