Whatever happened to Freebo

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassmantele, Nov 8, 2003.

1. bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    I saw him with Bonnie Raitt years ago, and it was the first fretless electric I ever heard. He really took advantage of the fretless neck to do some very pretty playing.
  2. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

Nov 2, 2003
    Wakefield UK
    He toured with John Mayalls Bluesbreakers about 1990 and was introduced by Mayall as a former member of Raitts band.
    He appears on Mayalls 1990 album 'A Sense Of Place'
  3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Seen him with the Bluesbusters a few years aga.
    Played great.
    Fretless Musicman 5-string.
  4. I used to have the priveledge of seeing Freebo play at the Lighthouse in Hermosa BEach. He used to play with a band called Steppin Lazar I believe. It was a cat on steel drums, Freebo, a guitar and drums if I remember correctly. He was always a joy to watch. The band was quite eclectic.
    I'd love to hear whats he up to now, I'll have to get his new disc fo' sho'
    47th Street likes this.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Freebo's on tour right now, he just played a solo show in Worcester on Saturday (couldn't go, I had my own gig).
  6. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
  7. lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    He is now a singer songwriter full time and plays bass part time. Excellent on both ends.
    Playing a 5 string fretless Stingray. IMG_4515.JPG
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Freebo was a big influence on me and made me want a fretless long before Jaco! I'm still on his mailing list, he does a lot of house parties.
  9. Mikhail1

Apr 8, 2008
    I don't remember the band, maybe Bonnie Raitt, but I read a story where Freebo wasn't on the tour but they had one of those Styrofoam heads with a bushy afro wig on it stuck on one of the amps. During band introductions they would say "Freebo couldn't make it but he sent his hair!" I always dug him because he played the tuba and made it look cool, a trick I could never pull off.
    47th Street likes this.
  10. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I saw him playing with Maria Muldaur in a small club outside of Providence (Chan's) in the early 2000's. Muldaur was touring in support of her "Richland Woman Blues" album. He had his fretless P and tuba. He also played some acoustic guitar (IIRC). Got to chat with him for a moment after the show. Nice guy and a very cool dude.
  11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Now Freebo mainly plays acoustic guitar. He has put out a few albums as a singer-songwriter.
    He was a big influence on me as a fretless player back in Cambridge Ma. in the 70's