Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whatever happened to.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Mar 10, 2002.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Charles Cote? He made some great custom basses, as well as some very high end J-style basses. Last I knew he was in Chicago, then, like Lane Poor, vanished. Does anyone know what happened to him, and more importantly, does anyone know where I can get one of his basses, used or new? Does anyone here have one of his basses, or ever played one?
    Please let me know.....

2. I own a 4 string Cote J-Bass that has a killer sound. Wonderful Lindy Frailin Pickups, amazing tone. Nice finish.

It wandered in to the music store I work in the Minneapolis area.

Really Heavy! I say close to 18 lbs. Great on tape, sounds good live, but I hardly use it.

I traded a G&L L-2000 for it with a customer. I think I made a great trade.

I've made some minor mods, tho. I but y-style keys on because I wanted the clovers for a 75 reissue j-bass I have. It came with hipshot tuning machines and I added the Extender.

Would consider selling it, but not too anxious!

3. It's s/n 98012. Twelfth Bass of 1998 by Cote.

Also note, this was recovered in an auction of stuff that never got delivered properly.

I guess the original customer who ordered the bass got a different one when the shipping carrier couldn't locate this one. A good customer of ours brought it in, and liked my L-2000.

It's got a hardcase, tweed style, as well.

When I got it, I played a Sunday morning Church gig, and the red hand-rubbed finish wore off on my shirt that morning... so I had this white dress shirt on with a big pink spot. I've had it for over 2 years now and that hasn't happened since.

Enjoy the pics,
    FishBulb

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've also wondered about Mr. Cote'. I've played 3 of his basses, and I dug 'em. I think he used Ken Smith p'ups.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Looks like a really nice bass but 18LBS!!!! WOW, That's heavy. Also, the headstock looks like some late 70's early 80's Ibanez headstock. Cool looking.

6. I just weighed it, and I apologize for my exaggeration... it's comes in at around 10.5 to 11 lbs.

FisBulb

7. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn

.....Celtic Frost?