1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whatever happened to.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Mar 10, 2002.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Charles Cote? He made some great custom basses, as well as some very high end J-style basses. Last I knew he was in Chicago, then, like Lane Poor, vanished. Does anyone know what happened to him, and more importantly, does anyone know where I can get one of his basses, used or new? Does anyone here have one of his basses, or ever played one?
    Please let me know.....

2. I own a 4 string Cote J-Bass that has a killer sound. Wonderful Lindy Frailin Pickups, amazing tone. Nice finish.

It wandered in to the music store I work in the Minneapolis area.

Really Heavy! I say close to 18 lbs. Great on tape, sounds good live, but I hardly use it.

I traded a G&L L-2000 for it with a customer. I think I made a great trade.

I've made some minor mods, tho. I but y-style keys on because I wanted the clovers for a 75 reissue j-bass I have. It came with hipshot tuning machines and I added the Extender.

Would consider selling it, but not too anxious!

3. It's s/n 98012. Twelfth Bass of 1998 by Cote.

Also note, this was recovered in an auction of stuff that never got delivered properly.

I guess the original customer who ordered the bass got a different one when the shipping carrier couldn't locate this one. A good customer of ours brought it in, and liked my L-2000.

It's got a hardcase, tweed style, as well.

When I got it, I played a Sunday morning Church gig, and the red hand-rubbed finish wore off on my shirt that morning... so I had this white dress shirt on with a big pink spot. I've had it for over 2 years now and that hasn't happened since.

Enjoy the pics,
    FishBulb

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've also wondered about Mr. Cote'. I've played 3 of his basses, and I dug 'em. I think he used Ken Smith p'ups.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Looks like a really nice bass but 18LBS!!!! WOW, That's heavy. Also, the headstock looks like some late 70's early 80's Ibanez headstock. Cool looking.

6. I just weighed it, and I apologize for my exaggeration... it's comes in at around 10.5 to 11 lbs.

FisBulb

7. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn

.....Celtic Frost?