1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's a 1968 Gibson EB2-D, Cherry worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoulReflection, Nov 24, 2017.

1. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    I have this bass and it's original hard shell case with a few scraps on the case. There are no apparent problems with the bass other than the appearance of a black cable through the lower F hole. Apparently, the original owner must have modified/repaired the electronics.

The finish is excellent, considering the age. The only thing missing is the foam on the string dampener

I have seen similar basses with an asking price of $2,500. Should I list it as is, or get and appraisal, either locally, or try to send it to Gibson for their evaluation?

What would you do?

2. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    You have to be a Supporting Member in order to ask what a bass that you currently own is worth.

Gibson won't help you, an appraiser might.

Good luck.

3. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    OK, now I am a Supporting Member...thanks for your help.

4. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    and...... the answer is: "Whatever someone is willing to pay for it"

Winoman and Wisebass like this.
  5. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Gee, Mike Walker...as a fellow Canadian, I say Thank You, Eh!, for your input, now go have a beer, eh...

6. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Canadians are just too polite...

7. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Posting pictures of the bass would help. Listing your location (Canada?) would do the same, since prices vary widely around the globe and a '68 Gibson EB is likely to have a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard which would make it next to impossible to sell across the border due to CITES regulations.

Good luck.

SoulReflection and Son of Wobble like this.
  8. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    My location is Northern California and I would sell in the CONUSA...I will work on pics. Thanks for your constructive input.

9. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Looking forward to the pictures.

If the bass were mine, I'd make sure to take clear shots of the point where the (back of the) neck enters headstock along with those "cable" modifications.

Good luck.

10. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    As a newbie and not knowing I had to be a supporting member, should I post the pics here, or in the classifieds?

11. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    You can post pictures here for evaluation on what the bass is worth. Once you've decided what the asking price is going to be, post a separate ad in the classifieds.

12. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Thanks, George...

13. I am looking forward to seeing those pictures!

14. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I am as well. I have an EB-2d that probably looks exactly like his. Mine may or may not be a 1968. It's year has been murky since I got it almost 35 years ago. Mine has a Dimarzio One instead of the original mudbucker. It never had a mud button, either. Oddly enough, it has a metal filler cap in the hole where the mud button would have been, and I have found a couple others over the years that were unmodified but had that same filler cap. So, apparently Gibson made at least a few with no mud button. Mine's wiring is all screwed up, but everything else is in excellent shape. I won't be selling it, and don't care what its market price is these days. It sounds too good to let go. I just love seeing EB-2s and seeing them get some love.

15. River Runner

River Runner

Sep 23, 2014
    In my experience, seeing a cable through the F hole on a Gibson is not an indication of a problem or mod. I've seen plenty of Gibsons where the cables are visible. Unless you mean there is a loose cable hanging out of the F hole :)

bholder likes this.
  16. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I’ve never seen the term “mud button” before. Gibson called it the “baritone switch”. It dramatically cuts lows, implying that the “mud” position (if that’s what you mean) was in fact the default voice of the bass. ...and that’s how we used it back in the ‘60’s. No one I knew actually activated that switch. The amps of the time were mostly quite thin-sounding and the beefy EB tone was highly prized - nobody used the term “mudbucker” back then. In fact, those pickups were sometimes added to P-basses to thicken them up. ..true story!

SoulReflection, ezra1, Gaolee and 5 others like this.
  17. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Rick Laird of Mahavishnu fame comes to mind...

bholder, nbsipics and Tbone76 like this.
  18. Mine gets the love both live and in the studio. EB-2s are great basses for what I need them for.

15390740_1262709750470660_432035427265576971_n.
    22489720_1676901065718191_1240791626112436392_n.

19. I think they are more accurately called anti-mud buttons,:roflmao: they are pretty much useless though as they cut out so much bottom it doesn't even sound like a bass anymore although I suppose that's the idea. I traded a Tele bass for a candy apple red fretless Precision in 1976-77 (bass was about a 70) and it had a Gibson mudbucker installed at the neck, the player wanted it though. Remember there were several well known bass players who had already done that, Berry Oakley and Mel Schacher. I think 2500.00 is a reasonable price for a two pickup EB-2, check sold listings on ebay. I just posted this the other day but what the heck:

20292745_10213775094078139_8548553684559281893_n.

SoulReflection, Gaolee, TomB and 3 others like this.
  20. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    closest sold item i could find on ebay went for less than $2,050. not including shipping. 272725488607 | eBay i suggest listing it about $2500. if it's a particularly nice example and see if anyone bites. if a quick sale is needed, you may wish to list it at a bit less.

SoulReflection likes this.