1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's a 2nd Speakon jack generally used for?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MirageBass, Mar 20, 2010.

1. I'm going out tomorrow and getting a Markbass 151HR, though it's used and one of the speakon jacks cuts out intermittently, though it can apparently still be used as a quarter inch jack. The other jack works fine.

What kind of repercussions might this have in the future, and how much might it cost to fix? I figure I can just use the other jack, but I don't know if venues tend to use the other jack for the PA, etc.

2. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    As far as I know it is just to run another cab in series from that cab as in if you were going to run two cabs off of one channel on your amp you would wire from amp to cab1 and then from cab 1 to cab 2 via the second (or thru) jack. IIRC, for less that $5 you can get a new jack with screw connectors pretty easily or just leave it alone as I have done on my cabs since I run parallel (each cab has it's own channel on the amp) all the time. I do figure one day on a gig I might wish I had just wired them up. It's pretty easy. +1 and -1 get the feed from the amp, then +2 and -2 get sent to the second jacks +1 and -1. At least that is they way my speakons were. Hope this helps

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I don't want to be pedantic, but the jacks are almost guaranteed to be in parallel. Wouldn't want somebody to fry an amp by hooking up too many amps ;)

Like melodicly said, a new jack will be cheap and easy replacement.

4. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    LOL! I do that all the time. I'm so sydlexic

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The speakers also would be in parallel if he daisy chained them. If the wires to the jack have quick-connect paddles on them, replacing it will be super easy. Five minutes, max.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020