Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats a B for

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Impulsee, Jan 16, 2003.

1. This is gonna sound really retarded i guess. But iv only used a 4 string. iv played a 5, 6, and 7, but only for liek 5min at music stores. waht exactly is a B for other then like..hardcore rock music??~??

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Like Shaft, its duty is to please the booty.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    B is for bowel movement.:D

4. People use it for lots of other stuff aside from hardcore. Its used in pretty much every type of music, especially Jazz, Gospel, and Blue.

The lower B allows an extended range to be played, so bassists can explore new musical possibilities in lower registers. Also, its easier to play some lines because you don't have to keep on going up and down the neck, you can just move up another string.

Check out John "Conklin" Turner's stable.

www.lordonly.net

He gives his reasons for playing 7-stingers as opposed to 4.

5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN

NOOOOO b is for brown note!;)

6. well we've had this thread "B for"

har har har

7. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    thumbrests

:)

8. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    B's are here to initiate threads with rhetorical questions.

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

EWWWWWWW. good one. i mean, i like 5ers,,, i just found this very funny.

10. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    I've found the B handy for when you need to do some quick transposing down. Can keep basically the same fingering pattern. Only problem is when you just bring the 4 to a gig - Ahhhh! :rolleyes:

The old brain just has to work that extra bit harder on the 4.

11. The Low B string on a 5-6 string bass serves 2 purposes. The 1st and most obvious is it allows you to play notes lower than ( low E ). Like Eb for instance. A lot of times I’ll be playing a line, (one I made up in my head) and it is moving down towards a climax and I’ll just run out of notes and have to jump everything up to a higher register. This use to happen to me all the time with a 4 string. It never happens with my 5. The second purpose the B string has is positioning. When you can play low E 5th fret on your B string, you have more control than having to play it open. These are some of the benefits I’ve discovered of the B string.

12. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Like Frank Sinatra said: Do B Do B Doo
    It's also for Cb.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is the sort of thing - so playing the lower strings higher up the neck gets you a very different rounder tone.

I hate having to always play low F to G down at the first to third frets - it always fits in better at the 5th to 8th frets on the B - allows a more natural flow to lines.

Plus - widely-spaced double stops like 10ths sound great on bass, but with a 4-string you can only do them on E and G - teh B gives you more options.

I could probably think of more given time!! ;)

14. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    My band plays alot of songs in drop D tuning and I've found that a low B helps out alot, I don't ever have to retune my bass for a drop D

15. B???????

Oh, crappity crap!!! I've had mine tuned to the wrong note all this time.

:mad:

16. :D To make honey :D