1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's a bass player worth?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by aqsw, Oct 19, 2010.

1. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    If you "auditioned" for a band and got the job. What would be the percentage of pay you would expect? with four members in the group.

2. Percentage of pay? Uh, it better be equal.

3. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I think 20% would be fair

4. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Equal cut if you are auditioning to be "in" an act that is going to be working regularly. If there is one person doing all or the bulk of the booking and other such leg work, a reasonable compensation should be paid to that person. If the work is being actually shared, then it isn't worth keeping track off each piddling detail unless someone starts slacking. If it is an artist hiring musicians, then a preset amount for each gig and a lesser amount for each rehearsal. For me normally, I charge by the (one hour) set with a two set minimum. One off road gigs I charge extra depending on mileage. Road work (ie: going out for more than three dates at a stretch) to be negotiated separately.

If someone starts in on the "your the bassist and therefore worth less money than the other musicians" I pass on the job. Those situations (and people) are not worth my time.

5. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Equal cut if you are auditioning to be "in" an act that is going to be working regularly. If there is one person doing all or the bulk of the booking and other such leg work, a reasonable compensation should be paid to that person. If the work is being actually shared, then it isn't worth keeping track off each piddling detail unless someone starts slacking. If it is an artist hiring musicians, then a preset amount for each gig and a lesser amount for each rehearsal. For me normally, I charge by the (one hour) set with a two set minimum. One off road gigs I charge extra depending on mileage. Road work (ie: going out for more than three dates at a stretch) to be negotiated separately.

If someone starts in on the "your the bassist and therefore worth less money than the other musicians" I pass on the job. Those situations (and people) are not worth my time.

Wasn't bold enough. ;)

6. Every band I have been in has been an equal split. I would expect no less.

7. this is a good time to say your a musical comunist

everyone gets the same

8. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    The only reason I said 20% was because the keys player and the guitarist are songwriters as well... but the rest of you guys have a point

9. Say one of the members hosts the practice place and provides the pa when the band rehearses and plays out. Should an "extra member", possibly at a slightly lower pay grade, be created for expenses such as upkeep of the system and electricity?

10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I am in a band allot like this. Two of the members are medical professionals and the drummer and I are in other lines of work. The songwriter plays all guitar,main vocal, and harmonica's, another plays 5 diffrent instruments, me on bass, backing vocals and the drummer.
    I also do 75% of the PR and bookings . Other members help and have the PA and other equipment. Its great to work with level headed people.
    No matter what we split everything equal and wouldnt have it any other way. There are no issues over this and we get along great since we all discuss issues first untill we agree on it.

11. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Are the pieces of paper playing any music? Why even bother listing them? I've met plenty of people with degrees that did not have education.

12. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Equal Pay... or I Don't Play....

13. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    The guitar player/singer in our band is the most talented player by a mile. He could sit by himself in a chair with an acoustic and keep the crowd interested all night. None of the rest of us are capable of doing that. I've always jokingly referred to us as his "backup band", but it has a ring of truth.

He owns 100% of the songs he has written (rightfully so), but all gig money is split equally.

14. I am priceless.

15. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    The reason I did this was because I wanted everyone to know the background of the individuals. I'm not saying a masters degree should get more, but it might be relevent. (I'm not saying it is though)

16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Considering that an original band generally makes either very little money, or a whole lot of money with very little grey area in between, I see this as going 1 of 3 ways.

1. Everybody gets equal pay. Not really fair considering the above.

2. The songwriters take nothing and pay the musicians since it's the songwriters music they're supporting. Seems the most appropriate to me.

3. The songrwriters make craploads of money, and pay the musicians whatever they feel is right. Seems what usually happens when the big gigs and big money start coming in.

Turning the above into % you can figure out. :)

17. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
    Unless you're a hired gun with a set fee, you should expect to get an equal cut for gigs - in your case 25%. The songwriters can get their larger cut when/if their songs sell.

18. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Apr 28, 2010
    O'Fallon, IL
    The songwriters own the songs, and are entitled to 100% of any royalties. Unless they're willing to share those with the other band members, they shouldn't be expected to play for less than a proportionate share. Band expenses such as rehearsal space, travel costs, promo material, website design and maitenance, studio time, etc. should be reimbursed off the top.

If one band member is responsible for the pa or for all bookings, they should perhaps be paid more, but that should be agreed to up front by all of the band members.

19. JamcoPasamerson

JamcoPasamerson

Apr 16, 2010
    Absolutely not! If and when this band ever gets their music released that is when the writing comes into play. It has no baring on the pay scale of live performances whatsoever. Unless you have some kind of deal worked out with the writers then when the material gets released they will make 100% of all the profits from the music and your only income will come from live performances. Unless this is an established solo artist you have been contracted to play with who can get you regular work at a set salary then the pay should be equal.

Yes. If you are touring you will obviously need a place to sleep, food to eat, etc. Again all of this depends on how established the band is and how much money you would gross if you were to tour. Obviously you will not be staying at five star hotels if you are a new band with no radio or record company support. You would have to all sit down and work out some sort of realistic budget based on what you are getting paid for each gig. Make sure to include extras for incidentals, such as if the van breaks down, or an amp explodes, or some gearg gets stolen, etc. But if I am being honest, from the sounds of it judging by the questions you are asking you are probably a pretty long way off from any kind of major touring at this point.

20. Domz

Domz

Sep 3, 2010
    New York
    there is no band without a bass player

I would vote for equal across the board