1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's a bass that you used to think was overpriced, but now you've changed your mind?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phillipkregg, Apr 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Basically what the title says.

Years ago I used to think that Sadowsky was overpriced and I couldn't figure out why people were so into those basses.

I took a chance and bought one sight-unseen several months ago and absolutely fell in love with it. And picking up another one next week.

What's a bass that you were totally wrong about and it was worth the cost?

2. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Squiers. Gretches. Fenders. I really did my best to stay away from even the tent that the kool aid was being served from...

OTOH, I used to think 4003's were a steal at $2k, but having heard so many fantastic sounding P's, J's, and boutique J's, having heard so many useless sounding Ricks, and played a few "great" Ricks, I wouldn't pay over $800 for even one that balanced well and didn't have paint defects.

...and if I were to get one, I'd immediately swap in a Hipshot bridge and mod it to fit a pair of P pickups wired in parallel.

3. Anything that wasn't a Fender or G&L. That was a long time ago. I've found many great instruments since that are very nicely priced for what you get.

4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    MusicMan basses.