1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's a better fretless (Warwick Rockbass content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matthew_84, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Passive Corvette Standard

17 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Passive Corvette $$

32 vote(s)
    65.3%
  1. I have an opportunity today to pick up a fretless passive Corvette standard. I also know of a fretted passive Corvette $$ that I've been debating getting, swapping necks on and selling the now fretted Corvette standard.

I would spend a bit more for the fretless Corvette $$, but I feel like it may be a bit better, but like to hear opinions. If I got the Corvette $$, I'd put Labella flats on it so it could somewhat mimic a fretless P with a bit more tonal options. Or if I just left the fretless Corvette Standard as is, I'd put Ken Smith Compression Wounds on it, for the ability to get a pretty versatile tone (from Jaco to P with flats - but getting in the ballpark of either, not quite getting either one 100%).

I have debated getting two fretless Warwicks, one a Corvette $$ with flats, and the other with rounds but the other I'd like to be Active with maybe a passive bypass.

2. Thanks to the 8 people who have vited so far. I'm curious if anyone would be kind enough to reply to this thread with an explanation of their opinion. I'm a tad lost on my choice and would look to hear why people chose one way or another.

Thanks again

3. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    For the rockbass line, I find the $$'s to be muddy because of the passive humbuckers. The standard 'vette with the single coils sounds much better, imo.

4. I just don't like passive humbuckers. :p

5. Yeah... I'm likely going to keep the Corvette standard as is. I played it at the sellers house and it sounded amazing. I'm still on route home to get more intimate with it, but I was quite impressed with it.

6. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    I have played several Warwicks and several Rockbasses. As well made as a rockbass is, it just doesn't compare. Ignore both J and $$ versions and get a used 'wick instrument with a proper neck. Wenge, with brass frets if you can. Just superior in my experience, but then again I hate maple so...
    Same hardware and electronics doesn't make the same bass.

7. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Carrots!!!!!!!! :p

8. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Dude, didn't see this post, sorry about the late reply. Enjoy the new bass.

9. Thanks and no worries. I was looking for a fretless anyway, and getting a used fretless Warwick in Canada with the slim neck profile is nearly impossible. One will show up every 4 months or so but the asking price will be around 2k.

I don't have that kind of dough, nor do I need that caliber on an instrument. I have a Rockbass Streamer LX and it was so good I sold all of my other fretted basses. This fretless is so good, I will be doing the same. It may not compare to a German 'Wick (I've never played one) but to me, they're far superior to anything else how they are. Plus I got it in basically brand new condition for $400. So I can't complain..:bassist:

BTW, this bass is wicked. The most versatile tones I've ever heard from a jazz. Each pickup has it's own tone pot and that makes for some great versatility

10. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah those MEC singles are pretty beefy pickups. I actually dig the sound of the $$'s but I think a preamp would help them out a bit and make them more versatile. The Warwick Corvette Rockbass I had was the active version, and man it was a good bass but the neck was just too much for me. Compared to my jazz and Ibanez necks, it was just too much for me to get used to. Definitely killer sounding basses though!

11. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    how noisy are the single coils on the standard? and where the heck can anyone get the $$ fretless 5?