Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats a "Big Muff" and "Russian Muff"?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by semborg, Aug 5, 2005.

1. What is it, I see those words everyewhere in this forum.

Sorry If I am stupid :smug: :ninja:

2. How does this sound on clean bass?

Anyone got any recording?

3. Ohw, its some kind of "distortion + sustainer"?

4. From what I've heard, it's a fuzz-style kinda distortion and sustainer. GIve you a thick, fuzzy distortion.

5. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    its a fuzz not a distortion

6. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Nope, it's a distortion, but people like to call it a fuzz. Fuzz and distortion are practically the same thing...sameish shape frequencies. Fuzz is just an extreme.

7. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I've tested USA muffs vs Russian muffs and the USA ones are definitely better quality.

8. I'VE tested both and found the opposite ... purely in the eye of the beholder.

9. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    I think they can go either way in terms of quality, but the Russian one sounds different...so remember that when you go to buy one. I'd personally go for the Sovtek model.

10. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    i have both the russian and the usa made ones... IMHO the russian muff sounds better for bass. I frequentally used it to strike fear in those who were within a mile of my amp. A good friend of mine who I jam with on occasion was walking in one time when I was playing and he said "Man, it sounds like you are wreaking f***ing havoc with that thing!" :cool:

11. It's simple.

American - noisy

Russian - creamy

My vote goes to Russian Muff :)

12. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    LOL Flea666...can you not get banned for that?

13. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    o well

14. hahaha it was pretty funny though.

15. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    if i were you flea, i would get that down QUICK before someone reports it... just lookin out for you

16. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    Done