1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's A Charango?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassFishingInAmerica, Apr 4, 2015.

1. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    I saw this on eBay. I know it is not a bass, but the story is too funny not to post for other stringed instrument players.
    image. image.
    image.
    image.
    image.
    So I graduated high school in 1997 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. For graduation gifts other kids got cars, electronics or just good ole cash... I got a charango. I didn't know what a charango was but learned then. It has since that time been sitting in its case for nigh 20 years.
    In all honesty it is beautifully crafted and in great condition - probably on account of it not being touched. I'm marking new because it has not been played...ever. I once made an unsuccessful attempt to tune it but that's it. So, it is new in that it hasn't been used and been protected in its case. It's not new in the fact that it has had a previous owner.
    Fair warning: upon graduation my mother sternly warned not to sell this...and has warned since then. So if you are the lucky buyer and are one day confronted by an angry curly haired lady... it's best to retort 'Yo no hablo ingles.'
    Case is included.

MVE, Haji, PortlandBass77 and 4 others like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I have a couple, and the even tinier "peanut" one, I forget what it's called, but none of mine are made of critters.

3. Huh... Who knew? I always thought a churango was kind of like a deep fried burrito. :unsure:

4. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    Yes, I thought the armadillo shell was a bit morbid. I'd be selling it too.

5. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I think you should keep it and learn to play it (in whatever style suits). I should get new strings on mine. Crazy sounds you can make finger picking on these, because of the odd tunings.

6. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    Is that a vegan armadillo guitar :p

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Charango sounds like a menu item at Taco Bell.

8. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    LOL - you beat me to it!!
    I read the thread title and thought the same thing !!

9. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    What's the best churango for metal?

wyrdawg, Big Hoss, Haji and 4 others like this.
  10. 2.6kHz

2.6kHz

Jul 9, 2014
    Stow, MA
    Hopefully the luthier did not contract leprosy, LOL. That thing just has bad juju written all over it.

BassFishingInAmerica likes this.
  11. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Its a kind of little guitar, tipical from Peru, they used to be made with the shiell of an armadillo.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  12. Strung_Low

Strung_Low Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2012
    San Franciskee
    They are very cool little folkloric instruments...i'd say play it!

13. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    You learn something new every day. Sounds good! Like a ukulele on steroids.

14. TheCrimsonKing

TheCrimsonKing

Jan 23, 2014
    It's not his, he saw it on ebay, I didn't see it at first either.

bholder likes this.
  15. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Probably best known to Americans as the mandoliny sounding thing on El Condor Pasa.

16. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    sure don't sound like that in my hands!
    (forgotten how much I liked that tune, thanks)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    elgecko likes this.
  17. FrankLowend

FrankLowend

Dec 31, 2010
    Brazil
    No way, hahahaha.

18. Hallic

Hallic

Sep 2, 2012
    I believe those are like a national instrument in bolivia, but are found in other coutries of south america. The armadello shell is rarely used these days and the body and neck are carved out of a single piece of wood(excluding the top & fretboard ;) ). The one shown by OP, is more for display than to play on, even if you place a nut on the thing, you will need to add a bridge aswell, since there the piece of wood that ties the string at the body is not adequate.

Buttt, charangos... Grab one if you can when you go to south america. You can get a professional/concert one for below 300 euro. I would advise against ordering from bolivia via online, there are just to many horror stories out there if you google it. Plus the internet stores usually overprice them. But i find the instrument itself beautiful, there is a nice album on youtube from a known player in the charango scene:

It has some boliva folks tunes on it aswell as south american tunes like sambas

19. bass_case

bass_case Maintain low tones. Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Miami, FL
    I had one of the dillo shell ones years ago but it was just wall art. Wish I'd kept it and converted it to a uke bass.

20. Rich Emme

Rich Emme

Feb 26, 2014
    Arizona
    Holy S#&t. These guys are on fire!

BassCliff likes this.