Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's a dead-spot?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by trainwreck200, May 16, 2001.

1. trainwreck200

trainwreck200

May 16, 2001
    canton OH
    Hi,I'm new to this site,I just registered and I don't really know how thing's work yet.Anyway,what's a dead-spot?

2. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    welcome to the board!

as far as i know a dead spot is a place on your bass's fingerboard where the resonance and bottom end of the note you are playing is just gone, the spot will sound much different from others on the fingerboard;
    its dead because it's (meaning the location on the fingerboard"or fretboard") sound lacks the qualities of the other "fretted" notes

this is due to the setup of a bass and the condition of the neck

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    there is another place on the baord were this subject is discussed very in depth. if i were you id use your search, i think youd get a better understanding for what a dead spot is.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    A dead spot is a note on the neck that lacks in sustain in comparison with other notes on the neck. Dead spots are most commonly found on the G string, typically between C and D. I have a MIM Jazz, however, that has a dead spot at about D#.

Having dead spots doesn't mean the note doesn't ring at all. That seems to be a common misconception around here. Instead, if you play a note that's on a dead spot, what you'll notice is a much shorter sustain than other places on the neck, particularly in the fundamental. On my jazz, when I play the D#, the attack is clearly present, however the note decays very quickly, and after just a few moments, the only tone left is harmonic several octaves up. This is an extreme example of a dead spot.

It can be argued that all wood-neck basses have dead spots. My Spector doesn't seem to have any. However, dead spots sometimes come BETWEEN notes, meaning unless my bass was fretless, I'd probably never recognize the dead spot. Of course, it's quite possible the graphite stiffening rods in the neck help;)

5. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    my ex-wife has a dead spot. I think its on her "G" string. [​IMG]

fisk