Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's a decent student flat-back bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by rishea, Feb 24, 2005.

1. rishea

rishea

Feb 24, 2005
    My teen-age son just started learning double-bass a year ago. He has played on many loaner basses, and has decided he likes the flat-back kind the best.

I'm finding that for the most part, flat-backs start around $4,000, and these are generally "professional" grade basses. I'm beginnig to suspect that he likes the flat-backs because they tend to be more expensive than the standard student carved-back models.

I did discover a Strunal Model 5/5WE at Shar and other places in the $2800 range. I've been told by one bass store that cheap flat-backs have bracing problems.

Has anyone had any experience with the Strunal 5/5WE?

Thanks.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    My recommendation would be to not look for a bass with a particular feature such as this, and instead figure out your budget and get the most appropriate bass possible (withing reason) in that price range. There's a ton of info in the Newbie Links, but in short, get a teacher and start shopping around.

Fill out your profile -- this lets TBDB'ers know a bit about you, where you are and such things as that. There might be somebody that hangs out here that is right in your area and could help you out.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The Shen Willow 3/4 FB is a good choice.. ASk out here and John too.. they can help you.

4. As Ray said, buying a bass because it happens to be a flat-back is not a sensible reason to buy that bass.
    If anything, some people prefer carved back basses because those braces on flat backs do have a rep for coming loose.
    Flat or carved ......still shouldn't be serious reasons for buying a particular bass.
    New flat backs are usually less money for the very reason that the time to carve a back is eliminated.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I got a swell back that's a ****ing CANNON. Big, warm, projecting sound. But I got it because of the way it sounded, not because it was a swell back.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If I had to choose between two otherwise equal basses, I'd go with a carved back just because of reputation -- flatbacks can be a real maintenance issue on some basses.

7. Is there an echo in here? :D

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    there an echo in here?
    an echo in here?
    echo in here?
    in here?
    here?
    here?

here?
    here?