Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats a double thumb slap?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 311 fan, Oct 3, 2000.

1. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    I heard of it before. Like, what is it.

2. Hard to describe, but in simple terms it goes like this: Slap regularly, then pop with the nail side of your thumb on the way up.. you will have to slide the thumb under the string.. hard to explain this. Les Claypool uses it a lot i think.

3. Nicolas Handjoko

Nicolas Handjoko

Sep 18, 2000
    Hi, I like this technic very much for the solo bass. I learn this techniq a few months ago. I guess the best player who play this technic is Victor Wooten

4. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i dunno about double thumb slap, but how slap with your fretting hand? pnut does it on his fast slap lines.

5. VicMan119

VicMan119

Oct 19, 2000
    well, I'll explain it for you (hopefully well!) seeing as I learned from vic himself. Victor Wooten is the main man who uses this technique. To hear it showcased check out his album "A show of hands."
    The concept is basically using your thumb as guitarists use a pick. When you bounce off a string, you get one tone. You've lost a movement. If you go through the string, more with the outer top edge of your thumbnail, stop on the A string (if you are thumping the E, obviously) and come back up the E with an upstroke, getting two tones. try alternating between strings, and start SLOW! It's like learning to play bass again because you can readjust the sound and speed of everything you do. But let's just say this.....those 84th notes won't be so hard once you get the down, up, pop motion. And then you can even add in a flam (down thumb, up thumb, pop index, pop middle). Yeah baby! It's real fun stuff. Email me if you have a further interest.

6. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    yea you can basically practive it in triplets example. hit with the go under the string and then pop. practive it on different strings and practive it slow then you'll get it.

7. VicMan119

VicMan119

Oct 19, 2000
    of course there are. Man, everybody misinterprets what I say....Vic has brought it to the highest level that most of us have seen, but yes that doesn't mean that other people don't use it. Arne Livingston of Living Daylights uses it superbly, Les uses it, and plenty of others. Take it easy...I was just making an example..

8. been practicing this since i saw the bass day video with wooten, and i love it, i can finaly slap with some precision
    i just wish a calass would form i am getting sick of the blisters

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Callus, you both mean.

Or when you develop calluses, you reach a state of being callused, or have callous skin on the thumb.

http://www.dictionary.com - Live it!

10. thanks embellisher i typed that word 3 times and that is as close as i could get

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No problem, sepulchralyoungcanine.

And verylargebovinespecies, all it takes is a few seconds to look up a word if you want to provide the CORRECT spelling.

:D

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    My vote goes to VicMan119's & basslax' comments.
    The question was "What's a Double THUMB SLAP"?

The double thumb, as VicMan explained, is obvious; the SLAP component, IMO, is what the fretting hand does. Usimg BOTH hands allows for some cool cross rhythm possiblities(like a drummer/percussionist) + some added speed(if that's your bag).
    Alain Caron is one of the cleanest double-thumb/slappers out there...

13. puppet654

puppet654 Guest

Apr 6, 2000
    but wouldn't slapping with the fretting hand be considered a hammer-on?? I'll probably sound really stupid asking this, but I've seen it twice now. What's the difference if there is any?

14. Artist:primus
    Album: Anti-Pop
    Song: Laqure Head

If thats not double tumbing, i dont know what is. Also, listen to the part right after the heavy part, I wanna know if anyone can honestly do that super super super fast slaping stuff sound. BE HONEST.

15. The1ManMoshPit

The1ManMoshPit

Jan 2, 2001
    Muttluk,

Actually, I think Les 'cheats' to get that insanely fast slapping, and uses the same technique on other songs like 'My Name is Mud.' The easiest way I find to duplicate that sound is to mute all the strings with either my arm or the palm of my hand, then slap as usual with the right hand while thwacking the strings with my left hand. Do this to the right rhythm and it sounds just like the aforementioned songs by Claypool.

Of course, for all I know that guy just got one monster of a fast thumb. . .

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    It ain't no hammer-on.
    Example of a hammer-on-
    ...pluck the "F" note(3rd fret/"D" string)& use your pinky to hammer on the "G" note(5th fret/"D" string). You are actually sounding BOTH notes & on ONE string(in this example).

LEFT hand Slap(or fretting hand slap)-
    ...pluck an open "E" & then using all 4 fingers(held together)SLAP the strings into the neck. You should get a THUMP & no discernable tone(like harmonics ringin' out).
    This allows a bassist to utilize BOTH hands & leads to some interesting polyrhtyhmic possibilities. That is, like a drummer uses BOTH hands to achieve a cross rhythm.

A basic "pattern" to get ya started-
    T=Thumb
    X=LH SLAP
    P=Pop

Rhythm=
    /1.2.3.4./=all 1/4 notes

Play=
    /T.X.T.P./
    On beat 1-Thumb an open "E"
    On beat 2-Slap strings with fretting hand
    On beat 3-Thumb an open "E"
    On beat 4-Pop an open "G"

Eventually, you'll wanna mix it up...
    /T.X.P.T./
    /T.P.T.X./
    etc

17. puppet654

puppet654 Guest

Apr 6, 2000
    ah, I see now, thank you

18. I've seen a Stu Hamm video, that explain it. Looks easy but I can't get a "slap sound" with the left hand.

19. SpiritualMack

SpiritualMack

Apr 8, 2005
    Y'all might not know this...but I'm fixing to drop a bombshell on you right here and right now! Victor Wooten didn't invent double thumbing. TYRONE BRUNSON gets credit for this tecnique! It's a travesty! James Jamerson gets credit for fingerstyle revolution, Larry Graham for slap revolution, Jaco for harmonics revolution, and TYRONE gets hosed! Youtube "Fresh" by TY stick 1984 and see what I'm talking about. Much love, TB!

embellisher likes this.
  20. byronkowalski

byronkowalski

Nov 26, 2010
    Ireland
    10 year old zombie thread............aaaaarrggghhhh