What's a Fafner?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DirtySocks1379, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Anybody have any info on Fafner bass heads? good, bad, durable, heavy? Good for loud and heavy music?
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm...well...errr...YES! They are amazing sounding!:D

They're so loud they actually come with earplugs!

Actually, I've played many amps including Eden, Aguilar, Ashdown, SWR, Trace Elliot, Ampeg, and so on, and can honestly say I haven't found one I like as much as EBS.

I find them durable, though some have reported a few problems with 'em. As far as music choice goes, in Europe, EBS has an image for heavy metal. In the US, it's more jazz. To me, that's just how versatile the Fafner is.:D
  4. I see it can run at 2 ohms, what does it run at 4 ohms with one cabinet hooked up and 2 ohms with 2 cabs hooked up? Also, does it ever overheat?
  5. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    If I remember correctly it is spec'd 440W@4ohm and ~600W@2ohm. Check the EBS site.

Mine did overheat, but I guess that was just my luck. Be sure you have enough clearance for the ventilation. I've played one Fafner that had lost the front panel lights. The power switch and pots also feel a bit flimsy, at least compared to a Glockenklang. But it is a good sounding amp and I would probably buy one if I was in the search for a new head.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

He is the dragon in Wagner's Ring cycle!! ;)
  7. flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
  8. Bruce Lindfield

9. flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    Yep, probably faster at drying the weekly wash.

(Not as frightening as the real thing though.)
  10. Fafner is one of 2 giants from a musical drama The Ring of Neibelung written by German composer Richard Wagner. Fafner and Falstad built Walhalla for Wotan. He paid for this with the gold he stole from Albrich who stole it from the Rein maidens. Albrich had fashioned a magic ring from the gold which Fafner ended up with after he killed his brother Falstad. When Fafner put on the ring he could turn himself into anything. Hense he becomes the dragon. The Valkyrie (motorcycle) is also named for a character from the Ring. http://www.bass.se/2001/index_ebs.html
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Well I already said this - see Dragon picture above!!?? And it's Niebelung or the Niebelungen horde!! ;)
  12. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Fafner is a character from Norse mythology. It's also one hell of a bass amp!
  13. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    looks like the fafner amp is well on it's way to becoming a household name amp.

can you say versatility.
  14. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The only part I disagree with you on is that it's on its way...that's because it's been replaced, at least in the US, by the TD620.

But, I do agree that versatility is a big strong point of it! It's a fantastic sounding amp!:D
  15. Fafnir's badass, but I think Fenrir's cooler. I always thought it was Nifelheim. or is that something else?
  16. Anybody know whre i could find a new Fafner online? Rudy's music is out of them
  17. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
  18. thanks Tumbao, do you know anything about this r2 place? Are they trustworhty? It says the amp is refurbished, what kind of condition is it in?
  19. willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    Just wanted to put in a reply. The Fafner is a great amp. If you cant find one get it. I bought mine used about 3 years ago, and have not found anything I like better. FYI Just today I picked up an Aguilar DB 750 that is amazing, but with that said I don't like it better than the Fafner it is just different. I sold my Eden gear and replaced it with the Aguilar (the eden gear was just sitting around). I did have to send my Fafner out for repairs when I first got it, but it has been solid since. Mine was one of the first ones sold in the USA. Hope this helps you.
  20. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's where I got mine. For the record, r2 = Rawn Randall, owner of the business. He's the US rep for EBS (among other brands). He once called me from his car with the designer of the Fafner in the seat next to him.

If that doesn't say that he's got a reputation, I don't know what does...seriously, if you have questions, PM me and I'll let you know.

And, if he says refurbished, it'll have a warranty, most likely. Mine was in mint condition, except for the tube which shattered during shipping. Rawn replaced it and paid for shipping, all on him.