1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats a fair offer to make on a pawnshop Peavey?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kjpollo, May 29, 2011.

1. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I went into a pawn shop yesterday that I never visited before. Probably the most eclectic pawn shop I've ever been in, but I digress.
    They had 7-8 basses, most of them were nothing interesting (Ibanez GIO, couple of entry level Yamahas, couple of utter no-names) but one caught my eye- a red Peavey Milestone II. They were asking $169 w/no case. If I decide to make a run at it, what's a fair $$ amount to offer? The neck seemed pretty good but they had absolutley no amps to play it through.

2. If its near mint $125

3. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    As you can see, most things in modern pawn shops are just crap. I'm talking the absolute lowest-end guitars and basses from their respective companies. Not a thing above entry-level. Peaveys are the exception to this rule! They are outstanding instruments that have been undervalued because their brand name is not prestige. They are great finds, though... amazing instruments for the same price as absolute junk on the used market. It seems like an impossible anomaly but, believe me, they are the best bargain going.

$169 with no case? Great buy. That's about average for a blah bass but a total steal for a Peavey. Try it and see what I mean. You don't stand to lose a hell of a lot.

You might have seen it go for $125 somewhere but you can't expect a price that low... not reasonably. That's just lowballing and petty stuff like that is a waste of time. I'm guessing you're a big fan of sifting through garbage on Craigslist, right? :rolleyes: I meet guys like you every time I attempt to sell something locally.

4. Its what the market will bear. Take a look now, you will see well under $125 online. $169 is high even with a case.

5. I've seen them go regularly @ $120 as well. Hell, shoot the guy $100 cash on the spot and see if he takes it. If not then go up to $120.

6. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Thats exactly what I was thinking!! If I had $100 on me, I probably could've walked out with it.

7. LilloEsquilo

LilloEsquilo Banned

Nov 8, 2009
    Sounds like they are right on the 120 for this. I saw some on eBay in that range or for not much more.

As a side note, whenever I tried to sell a bass on eBay (I never would again but this is the past) they would invariably ask for a case and show no interest without one. Mind you, I was already selling a bass that was in mint condition for less than half new price, yet these clowns would expect you to run out and buy a new case for 100 bucks and throw that in on the deal too. I used to think maybe I should go buy a 1000 dollar amp and give you that too just to sweeten the deal. Then invariably they would howl "SNAD" to Paypal trying to screw you, on things like the wood grain on a burled top not looking like the picture they saw online. Uh, yeah, burled tops are all gonna be different you know. But I kid you not, one guy got a free bass for that one, thanks Paypal. I sure don't miss that shyte. Or the people who screwed me. I donate stuff I don't need anymore to Goodwill now, and at least get a tax write off for it, or give it to buddies. If I gotta give it away I might as well not pay eBay fees and shipping to do it! Man this brings back bad memories. That stuff would be better to stay far in the past.

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    You can safely offer half what theyre asking and they will still be making a good profit. Pawnshops historically ask at least 3 times as much as they paid for an item in my experience.

9. arsie

arsie

Jan 19, 2011
    Singapore
    You're not factoring in rent. Being bold with your offer does not hurt. Low balling, however, does not get anyone anywhere.

10. basslust

basslust

Apr 18, 2011
    Mass
    Print off a few of these ads that show what it's worth and show to him, ask him to match (IMO).

11. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    FWIW, I wont make an offer first ... I send the bass off with the sales person back to the manager, to ask him/her for the lowest price ... the first rule of negotiating ... also, in a Pawn Shop, I dont worry about fair, they get my rock bottom offer after I see where they are at, in case they are at or below it ... in a one on one dealing, such as on here, fair matters ... it doesn't matter how good of a deal it seems, if both parties dont win, its not really a good deal ... I have even paid more than the asking price for an item on here, when I felt the seller did not really know the value of what he was selling ... but in a pawn shop, I wont say its a low-ball offer, but it certainly will be commensurate with the probably life the item has lived, and figuring the item came into inventory for 10-15 cents on the dollar of its value ... JMHO

12. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    I think tjh has it pretty much right here.
    Although if it where me I would handle things just a little bit differently.

First things first I'm going to give the bass a good look, find and make a mental note of all of it's flaws/draw backs.

Second, I'll ask if I can speak to a manager or someone who is willing to negotiate on price.
    Now I might get a “well what did you have in mind” question right off the bat,
    To this I'll usually say, “well I'm definitely interested but I'm not sure I will be able to give you exactly what you want for it”.
    Then you may get an “ok I'll go get the manager” or a “well how's $XX.XX sound”?
    If I get the manager I'll throw out the first offer and I will start low (real low).
    If I'm given an offer right off the bat I'll counter with my low amount.

Third, In knowing where to start here I need to first have at the very least a basic idea of what the shop took it in for. (generally 20-50% of the actual value, not the price listed)
    That means if that Peavey is worth $120 average they most likely paid no more then $60 for it when they took it in.
    So I'll offer just that, 60 dollars, and wile they are hesitating to react at my incredibly presumptuous offer I talk it down.
    I'll say things like, “yeah I know you're probably thinking that's too low, but what I'm thinking is that I'm going to have to pay at least $60 to have it set up because it doesn't play as is, it's got all these nicks in it and I'll have to get a case”.
    See where this is going yet?
    At some point they are going to stop me and give me a better offer if I'm comfortable with it, I'll take it, if not I'll say, “well, yeah, hmmmmmmmmmmm”.
    Sometimes during this awkward silence they will go even lower!

Fourth and final step.
    I will say, “How about I meet you half way”?
    They love that one the old “I'll meet you half way”
    Now if at this point they come back with anything lower I can rest assured that it is the absolute least amount of money they where willing to except.

That's how I deal with pawnshops.
    Not craigslist, not tb classifieds and for the most part not even music stores.
    But this is always the basic protocol with pawnshops
    pawn shops know this that's why their prices are so high in the first place.

Best of luck,

Samantha.;)

13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

$100