1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's a fair price?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by nickn, Sep 26, 2008.

1. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    So my band might be playing at a stranger's birthday party in one week's time. He heard us jamming when he was walking by, so he stopped by and asked if we'd play at his party a couple streets over. He was in a rush so there wasn't time to work out too many details, but we told him we were probably down for it and gave him my phone number. As for how long we're playing, he said we could take as many breaks as we want as long as we've sporadically got music going throughout the night.

He hasn't called yet, but when he does call, what's a fair price to ask of him? We don't expect a humongous sum, but if he expects us to play for him for absolutely no money, he can forget about it. The gig's probably going to be several hours long with plenty of breaks in between. So how much money should we ask for? :confused:

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    A bill a man. Make sure he understands that your guys won't play for less.

3. HomeBrewTJ

HomeBrewTJ Supporting Member

May 16, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    get what you're worth.

4. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    What homebrew said.

A "fair price" is whatever YOU think is fair, no less.

5. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    What they said. Make it worth your time and effort to move equipment. You didn't say if there would be beer and food.

His saying 'take as many breaks as you want' would make me feel like he is expecting to pay very little.

6. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    How much do you normally get for say a bar gig? Kinda depends on your norm - this might be your first gig, or you might have been doing $1500 plus gigs for years. I get the feeling from your post that the guy might expect you to play for free, just for fun and beers....

7. Aside from the price, you should also set out some other things. Will he want you to play "Happy Birthday" or other favorites? The usually do, so you ought to be ready (no matter what style you play).

Will he want to join you on the stage? Birthday party clients often want personal attention.

Is there going to be a volume issue playing at someone's home?

Where are you going to set up and will there be access to power and lighting?

Sort out the technical stuff and have some fun.

8. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA

Sounds reasonable.

I hear the "get what you're worth" business, but that doesn't really answer the OP's question. I know a few players who won't leave the house for under a $100. Works for me. Its not written in stone or anything, but sounds about right.