1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whats a fender 79 P Bass worth to buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Azzatron, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Hi, quick question, as the title suggests. Does anyone know what a 79 P Bass is worth these days?

Cheers.

2. It's worth exactly what one can get for it. Check out ebay for what they tend to go for, or watch some FS ads here. Also, be aware that if you're asking about something you're considering selling, you might want to read the rules. :)

3. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    On ebay i'm pretty sure that you can look for what the last 50 of a certain product is for. So just find that and find out the average price of what the last fifty 79 P basses have gone for

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

Right on.

If I may, I would add that 1979 is my least favorite year for '70s vintage P-basses, IMHO. However, if you find a bass that you like and the price is within your reach, get it, if you really want it.

Those basses are not horrible, it's just that a 2004-2009 MIM Fender P-bass would be much better, IMHO. Yes, MIM. That is not to disrespect either type of instrument. A close friend has a 2003 MIM P-bass. She paid around $475 new at GC. It is excellent, IMHO. Kills lots of 70's P-basses in a single bound....

If you want mojo, get a Roadworn '50s P. If you want serious P-(bass)ness, get a 2009 new American Standard P, or an AV '62 RI P-bass. All IMHO. Then again, there are metros and skylines....:bassist:

5. Thanks guys, i will try the ebay route... And nah, not selling, buying one maybe, Just wanted to get a rough figure on what they cost so I am not getting ripped

6. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    i could have got one in antigue finsh with a BA 2 last week it was a 1978 or 79 he was asking 1000 and was firm i passed ugly color and my MIM does out play it with duncan pickups