Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's a Fender Jazz Bass (MIM) worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Josh Curry, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I have a chance to get a Fender (made in Mexico) Jazz Bass for $300. Is this a good deal?

Specs:

white, chrome hardware, gotoh bridge, 2 J pickups, white pickguard, etc... typical fender jazz I think. It has flats on it but those will be quick to go.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What kind of condition? Any mods?

A new one goes for between $350-400.

3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    it looks totally stock and in good condition. I'm not an expert on Fenders and the pics aren't the greatest.

pics...........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd offer $275, but if it's in great shape, I wouldn't mind paying $300 if in fact you love it.

5. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I'm not particular to these but if it's a good deal I wouldn't mind having one.

6. if it's in kind shape, that's not too bad..

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    As a general "rule-of-thumb", a reasonable price for a used bass (or guitar) is 1/2 the list price. A MIM Fender Jazz bass lists for $599, so $300 seems like a decent price for the bass pictured above.

After a closer look, I can't quite make out the serial #, but it appears to be MN3124400 (on my monitor). If I have read correctly, then that's a 1993 bass. I might offer a little less than $300 for a 11-12 year old bass.

(Please correct me if I have misread the S/N. The pics are kinda fuzzy.)

8. Quagmagog

Quagmagog

Nov 28, 2004
    How about my MIM Jazz with a badass bridge and Dimarzio Ultra jazz pups, what do you think that would go for? im hoping to got at least 450 for it, what do you think? and if desired i might even throw in the hardshell case i have (cheapo 80$ case) the bass is in near perfect condition. I love it but wouldnt mind having a 5 string with good accessability to the higher frets. BTW i bought it new in 02

9. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Especially since Fender switched from poplar to alder bodies for the MIM basses about three years ago. $300 is too much when you can pick up used MIA jazzes for $600.

Glenn D.

10. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Yeah, I think I'm going to pass on this. I really want an American Deluxe Jazz V FMT anyway :)

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Let me add another rule of thumb: keep your original hardware, you will almost never get out of an instrument what you put into it, even with upgrades. I think $450 is a bit too high, you're looking at $350 if you find a buyer looking for exactly that.

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Even though you've decided to pass...

Up until a couple years ago, a new MIM J was about $300 at Guitar Center or Sam Ash or many places on-line. I don't know what they were selling for in '93 but certainly less. I would doubt that a MIM Fender would appreciate in value

A good MIM Fender is a wonderful instrument. If it's a good one, the price isn't unreasonable.

My MIM P bass is more enjoyable to play than the '74 P Bass I bought in 1974 ever was. The $330 price I paid in '74 dollars would be equivalent to about $1200 2004 dollars and my MIM P was just $200 used...making it a way better value.