1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's a Fender JP-80?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Band Dad, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
    I've been offered an american P-bass that the seller says has a jp-80 neck. I can just make out an "80" on the headstock decal and recall seeing this at some time in the past.

Anyone know what this is? It doesn't google.

I'm thinking of trading a Squier in Shoreline Gold, perfect condition with active EMGs and a Gotoh bridge.

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

It probably doesn't Google because it should be JP-90.

The Fender JP-90s were basses sold beginning 1990 (hence the name). They were had J and P-style pups.

I'll bet is has 4 on one side tuners, rosewood fingerboard and pearl dot inlays.

They were not very highly regarded basses compared to Fender Jazz or Precision basses. But the neck should be ok.

3. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    So is the neck like a P or a J?

4. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    You sure it doesn't say JB-80? Sounds like it could be a Jazz bass neck from a Japanese non-import bass.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

JP-90's were kinda like a hair metal version of a Highway One bass.

It was MIA but geared more towards the Ibanez buying crowd at the time.

They were only $400 or $500 new as I recall. They sell on eBay for $300-350.

6. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
    OK, so, after a dinner break, I come back to all this great information!

The seller did say JP 80, but I just got an email from him with an "oops, my mistake, it's a JP 90".

And now I can Google that and get my needed responce (or less so, now that I've heard frpm my fellow TBers). Thanks to you all!

Apparently it has a JP 90 neck on an American body. But, the body's not string-through, so I asked if it was a Highway One. I'm told "I don't think so", so who knows?

I picked up an Idonesian-made Squier for $50 in perfect condition and that's what I've offered in trade for this "JP 90".
    I've upgraded the Squier with a set of vintage (branded logo) EMGs and a Gotoh bridge that I had lying around. I had to re-wire with mini-pots.

A point: I have to say that this Squier is one of the cleanest fenders that I've worked on! A real pleasure. Smooth machines, very nice finish work, smooth neck finish–so much nicer than the MIMs I've worked on. Reminds me of the MIJs that I regret letting go and I wonder if this is an equitable trade.
    The Squier name is hampering my sale of this and I was hoping that a trade woulde give something to work on (that's what I like to do) and be that much easier to sell when I'm finished with it.

Thanks for all the great input!

7. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    if he will trade you, do it..