Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats a "flam"?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bsplyr54, Mar 3, 2001.

1. bsplyr54

bsplyr54 Guest

Mar 3, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    I was on vic wooten's website and he talked about a flamming tehnique. I tried searching for it on the web but i just get pages about drum techniques. I assume thats where he got the idea from. Any advice?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Flamming is a drum technique/rudiment(?).
    You're probably correct, too...drums/percussion is what inspired Wooten's "flamming".
    Wooten was probably talking about using one's index & middle fingers(plucking hand)to simulate a drummer's flam on the snare drum.
    So, an exercise would be to THUMB the open "E"-string, then pluck upwards with the INDEX finger & then the MIDDLE finger on the MUTED/open "G"-string. DO NOT attempt to POP individually with each finger; rather, keep them both in a semi-hook, but fixed position. Merely thrust/flick upwards "quickly" after the THUMBED "E" note. The amount of space Y-O-U set betwen the index/middle fingers determines how "rapidly" those two notes will sound. Keep those two fingers FIXED!! ;)

Later, you can incorporate the fretting hand with some slaps to add spice to the effect...remember, think like a drummer! ;)

3. bsplyr54

bsplyr54 Guest

Mar 3, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    thanks man, will do.

4. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    A flam is a double hit on a drum. The drummer hits with one stick followed closely by the other which is usually the louder hit of the two.