1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whats a "flam"?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bsplyr54, Mar 3, 2001.

1. bsplyr54

bsplyr54 Guest

Mar 3, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    I was on vic wooten's website and he talked about a flamming tehnique. I tried searching for it on the web but i just get pages about drum techniques. I assume thats where he got the idea from. Any advice?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Flamming is a drum technique/rudiment(?).
    You're probably correct, too...drums/percussion is what inspired Wooten's "flamming".
    Wooten was probably talking about using one's index & middle fingers(plucking hand)to simulate a drummer's flam on the snare drum.
    So, an exercise would be to THUMB the open "E"-string, then pluck upwards with the INDEX finger & then the MIDDLE finger on the MUTED/open "G"-string. DO NOT attempt to POP individually with each finger; rather, keep them both in a semi-hook, but fixed position. Merely thrust/flick upwards "quickly" after the THUMBED "E" note. The amount of space Y-O-U set betwen the index/middle fingers determines how "rapidly" those two notes will sound. Keep those two fingers FIXED!! ;)

Later, you can incorporate the fretting hand with some slaps to add spice to the effect...remember, think like a drummer! ;)

3. bsplyr54

bsplyr54 Guest

Mar 3, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    thanks man, will do.

4. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    A flam is a double hit on a drum. The drummer hits with one stick followed closely by the other which is usually the louder hit of the two.